Form 1098-T

For students who have registered for classes with HPU during a given calendar year, a Form 1098-T for qualified tuition charges will be provided under the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997.  For more information about the tax credits, please visit Tax Benefits for Education website.

If you have been charged qualified tuition and related expenses between January 1 and December 31 of the same calendar year, you will be given a Form 1098-T.  The Form 1098-T contains the amount billed and any scholarships and/or grants paid during the calendar year (the year the semester begins may not be the same as the year it was billed).  For Spring semesters, if you have registered for classes before December 31, those charges will show in the previous year’s Form 1098-T.  For example, if Spring 2017 classes were signed up for in December 2016, charges for those classes will appear in the 2016 Form 1098-T.

The Form 1098-T will be available online and mailed out to your mailing address in Pipeline on January 31.  To view an unofficial Form 1098-T online, you may access it in Pipeline by clicking on the “1098-T Tuition Statement” Quick Link in the My HPU tab.  An official Form 1098-T can be viewed, printed, or mailed to the address on the Form 1098-T in Vangent by following the below instructions:

- Go to

- Click the “First Time Students” button.

- Enter your full First and Last names and the last 5 digits of your Social Security Number.

- Click "Submit".

- If records are present for you, you will be instructed to create an account. Follow the instructions on the website to create a free account and retrieve your Form 1098-T. If records are not found for you or you have difficulty creating an account, use the “Help” link in the left menu.

Nonresident Alien Students

Nonresident alien students are generally not eligible to claim education tax credits and a Form 1098-T is not automatically generated for these students. However, under certain conditions, some nonresident alien students may be eligible to claim tax credits. If you feel you are eligible to claim the tax credit please email


This form is intended to assist you or your parents in the preparation of your federal income tax return. Your accountant, tax preparer, or the Internal Revenue Service ( can best advise you in the utilization of this form when preparing your taxes. The University cannot offer tax or legal advice.

The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997, established two education tax credits and a deduction for student loan interest. These credits are explained in detail in Publication 970 from the IRS. However, please note that just because you receive a 1098-T does not automatically mean you qualify for a credit. If you have questions about how to compute your education tax credit, you should consult your tax professional or refer to the IRS.

Qualified tuition charges include charges for tuitionStudent Activity Fee, and Technology Fee

If your qualified tuition charges were completely paid for by scholarships, grants, or governmental institutions (ie: Tuition Assistance voucher, Vocational Rehabilitation, Post 9/11 GI Bill); you will not be issued a Form 1098-T due to not being responsible for the charges.

A Form 1098-T may also not have been issued due to not having provided your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to HPU.  To provide your SSN or ITIN to HPU, please fill out a W-9S and submit it to the Registrar via fax, mail, or walk in drop off.

HPU issues a Form 1098-T based on qualified charges incurred during the calendar year when classes were registered for, not the year payments have been made.  A Form 1098-T will have been issued for the appropriate year when the tuition charges have been made.

Box 1 will be blank for all HPU students. Schools are directed by federal regulations to choose a method of reporting, either by reporting the payments received for qualified tuition in Box 1 or by reporting the amounts billed for qualified tuition in Box 2. HPU has chosen the latter method.