transfer credits, transferable credits, transfer credit

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is awarded according to the guidelines outlined here. HPU reserves the right to accept or reject credits earned at other institutions at higher education. In general, it is HPU's policy to accept credits earned at institutions fully accredited by their regional accrediting association for college and universities.

Transfer Credit Library

New First time Freshman/Transfer

Current HPU Student

Limitation of Credits

  • The maximum amount of total undergraduate transfer credit from all transcripts and test scores is 90 credit hours. Credit hours awarded cannot exceed 90 total credits and are restricted by the sources below:

  • Maximum of 90 credits from a regionally accredited four-year college or university

  • Maximum of 60 credits from any two-year institution, community college. or from the American Council on Education (ACE evaluation)

  • Maximum of 45 credits towards an Associate’s degree

  • Maximum of 36 credits may be earned in passing courses by examination (including CLEP and DANTES)

  • Maximum of 30 credits awarded for dual credit, or combined AP and IB

  • Maximum of 15 credits of extension or continuing education

  • Maximum of 4 credits in physical education/activity.

  • Only academic courses that carry a grade of C- or better will be accepted.

  • Repeated courses will only transfer once. The most recent attempt will be used for credit.

Courses Receiving No Credit

  • Courses from unaccredited institutions: Coursework taken at any institution not fully accredited by a regional United States-accrediting association or is not recognized by the Office of Admissions is not transferable
  • Courses below collegiate level
  • Developmental or remedial courses are not transferable
  • Life experience, internship or practicum credit are not transferable
  • Unless denoted as part of an articulation agreement: courses vocational in nature are not transferable

Military Service or Schooling

  • Course work taken through military schools may be considered for credit on the basis of recommendations of the American council on Education (ACE) and Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Agreement. The student’s DD-214 or DD-295 form should be submitted along with either-

  • The Army/American Council on Education Registry Transcript System (AARTS)

  • Sailor-Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART)

  • Joint Services Transcript (JST) or community college of the Air force (CCAF)

Courses with Non-traditional Grades

  • Grades such as CR (credit), P (pass), S (satisfactory) maybe transferable only if the grade represents a C- or higher. Courses with non-traditional grades are generally only accepted as elective credit. Notation that the NT grade is equivalent to a C- or better should be clearly reflected on either the school’s transcript key area or in the Academic Catalog.

Pre Approval

  • It is university policy that all students taking courses elsewhere, must have pre-approval of transfer credit. Current HPU students need to submit a transfer pre approval form to verify course transferability before taking any courses for transfer credit, even if it appears on the previously approved course list. Please meet with your academic advisor to complete the Transfer Credit Pre Approval Process.

Lower Division Credit

  • Freshman or sophomore-level courses from a 4-year university or courses from a community college will not transfer as upper-division credit.

Quarter System Converted to Semester Credit

  • During the evaluation, all work completed at universities on a quarter system will be converted to semester hours. Each quarter-hour is equivalent to .67 of an HPU semester credit. Therefore, a 4 quarter-hour course will show as 2.68 credits after transfer evaluation.














  • Courses considered for transfer will be evaluated by a transcript evaluator and will be accepted based on equivalency for program requirements. Certain colleges, departments, or programs (e.g., Nursing) may have specific expiration dates for transferred credits which will be applied during the transcript evaluation. Students have the first term of admission to reconcile previous transferred credit.

  • HPU recognizes the completion of the general education core for most majors through conferral of an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or a Bachelor’s degree (B.A., B.S.)*. Students will have fulfilled all general education courses, with the exception of pre-requisite and/or lower division requirements toward the major at HPU, unless a direct equivalent was taken previously. The university also recognizes the California Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (I.G.E.T.C.). Completion of IGETC may satisfy the majority of the general education core for most majors, however, some additional courses may be required.
  • Only credits from previously attended universities transfer into HPU, not the grade point average (GPA) earned. 
  • Given adequate processing time, students will know exactly how many credits will transfer before registering for classes.
  • Credit evaluations will show all courses that are transferable to HPU. Students are free to explore degree programs to see where their credits will apply.
  • Students must complete their last 30 semester hours in residence at HPU, regardless of the amount of transferred credit granted.


  • We maintain several program to program agreements. Students are able to view how the courses from their community college will be used in the major programs at HPU. Program to Program Agreements allow students a general scope of direct equivalencies, how they apply, and how many courses may be needed to complete the degree at HPU. Email us if you are unsure if your credits will transfer.

  • HPU recognizes credits from previous studies at educational institutions outside the U.S. International transfer students may qualify to transfer their credit (advanced standing) at HPU
  • The following must be submitted in order to have international coursework credit evaluated for transfer at HPU: 
    • Transcripts: Official transcripts must be mailed directly to HPU from the international institution attended (note: faxes, e-mail attachments, website transcripts, copies, and third party evaluations are not accepted);
    • Course Descriptions - Official course descriptions for all courses for which an evaluation for transferable credit is desired must be sent directly to HPU from the previous institution;
    • English Language Translations: If transcripts and associated course descriptions are not originally issued in English, a professional and certified translation through a NACE accredited service is required.

  • U.S. military training is evaluated for transferable credit.
  • Transfer credit is awarded for credit that is approved by the American Council of Education (ACE).