International Students

Graduate PROGRAMS:

International applicants who wish to apply for a master's program or graduate certificate need to submit the documents listed below in addition to submitting general admissions requirements. 


International students must provide third-party certified evaluations (course-by-course with GPA calculation) and translation from NACES member organizations.  Third-party certified evaluations must be sent directly to HPU from the issuing NACES member organization to be considered official. The most common organizations used are WES or ECE as they provide electronic delivery.

English Language Requirement:

Personal copies of TOEFL or IELTS scores are not considered official.  Please have the official score report sent to HPU directly from TOEFL or IELTS, we do accept electronic delivery.

Non-native English speakers must satisfy the English competency requirement by completing one (1) of the following:

  1. Graduate from a college or university from the United States or from the list of countries below or;

  2. Earn a minimum TOEFL, IELTS or Eiken score as stated in the table (no more than two years old by the intended entry term);

  3. Enroll in ELS and complete Level 112

English requirement waived if a bachelor's degree was received from a college/university in the following countries:

Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Canada (not Quebec), Dominica, England, Fiji, Grand Cayman Islands, Grenada, Guyana, Irish Republic, Jamaica, New Zealand, Singapore, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & Grenadines, Trinidad & Tabago, United Kingdom, United States of America and its territories.

If your program was taught entirely in English (not just certain courses, the entire degree program), requirement may be waived. Official letter from your previous institution verifying that your entire program was taught in English will be required.

Name of Test





6.0 overall

ELS Language Centers

Level 112

Eiken (applies to the MA TESOL Program only)

Grade 1

*Please refer to your program of interest to see minimum writing score requirements.


Office of International Students & Scholars requirements 

You can visit the Office of International Students and Scholars website for all F-1 Visa inquiries.

Statement of Financial Support:

All applicants must submit the following two documents:

  1. An original or certified bank statement or letter in English and US dollars showing that you, your sponsor, or guardian(s) have an account which provides sufficient funds to cover one year of study at HPU.  

  2. If you have a sponsor, you must submit a completed and signed HPU Statement of Financial Sponsorship Form, please refer to the Cost of Living chart below.
    - Statement of Financial Sponsorship (Degree Seeking) Graduate

    - Statement of Financial Sponsorship (Visiting) Graduate

Passport Information:

Please submit a copy of the page within your passport that includes your personal information and your picture and a copy of your student visa if you are currently studying in the US.