Scholar & Researcher Information

Scholar & Researcher Information

Hawai'i Pacific University sponsors individuals from abroad who have established a relationship with an HPU academic or administrative department to complete a short-term, partnership activity on campus. The HPU department interested in inviting a foreign scholar must initiate any requests for immigration documents by contacting the Office of International Students and Scholars.

Types of Scholars

Research Scholar

The exchange of research scholars promotes the exchange of ideas, research, mutual enrichment and linkages between research and academic institutions in the United States and foreign countries.

Short-Term Scholar

Professors, research scholars and other individuals with similar education or accomplishments travel to the United States on a short-term visit for to lecture, observe, consult, train or demonstrate special skills at research institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions or similar types of institutions.


Specialists are experts in a field of specialized knowledge or skills who provide opportunities to increase the exchange of ideas with American counterparts.