Additional Resources

Archived Newsletter

Career Services Center 

Center for Academic Success 

Counseling & Behavioral Health Services

International Admissions

International Club

International Mentor Program

Study Abroad

Tuition and Fee FAQ

Office Information


1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200 (UB200) 

Google Maps


Monday - Friday

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Closed on Holidays

Contact Us

Email: iss@hpu.edu

Telephone: 808.356.5299

Follow Us on Social Media

Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Follow Us on InstagramYouTube

Employment for

F-1 and J-1 Students

Because the purpose of their presence in the United States is to complete an academic program, federal immigration regulations provide F-1 and J-1 students limited opportunities to engage in employment. For the most part, any employment that is allowed must enhance the learning that is taking place in the classroom, and therefore must be directly related to a student's program of study at HPU.


***Compensation for services rendered is not a consideration when determining whether or not a student needs to obtain work authorization prior to beginning employment. F-1 and J-1 students at HPU are required to obtain work authorization for all off-campus positions, whether paid or unpaid.


F-1 and J-1 students have separate processes for securing work authorization. Please contact or schedule an appointment if you have further questions.


f1_emp j1_emp