About Us
Our Majors and Programs
Department of Computer Science
Department of Mathematics
Department of Natural Sciences
Graduate Programs
Pre-Health Professions Program
  • Pre-Health Professions:
    Pathway to Medicine, Dentistry, Chiropractic, Physical Therapy, Naturopathic Medicine, Optometry, Pharmacy, and Veterinary Medicine

Scientific Instrumentation
Summer Courses at HPUSemester at SEACosta Rica
HPU Marine Science Program
HPU student team wins computing competition for the fourth time
CNCS News & Events

April 24 - Thesis Defense "Isolation and Structure Determination of a Cyclic Tetraglutamic Acid from the Hawaiian Box Jellyfish, Carybdea alata" presented by MSMS graduate candidate Justin Reineke. Drs. Gideon Berger and David Horgen serve as Justin's MSMS advisors. Seminar will commence at noon, Hawaii Loa Campus AC 208.

April 24 - Seminar "Perfluorinated compounds in Hawaiian cetaceans" with Mr. Adam Kurtz, MSMS graduate candidate, 2:00 - 3:00 pm, Hawaii Loa Campus AC 101.

April 17 - Seminar "Kaelepulu: an investigation of water mixing and exchange in an urbanized estuary to help define restoration alternatives" with Mr. Robert Bourke, Environmental Scientist, Oceanit Laboratories, 2:00 - 3:00 pm, Hawaii Loa Campus AC 101.

MSMS student Meagan Putts (advised by Dr. Sam Kahng) won the Student Presentation Award at the 2014 Ocean Sciences Meeting for "Recolonization and community succession of deep-water precious corals in response to disturbance." Evaluations were based on the clarity/effectiveness of the presentation, quality of the experimental design, clarity of the conclusions, and its innovation/scientific insight. (see abstract)

HPU graduate student Robert Thompson and faculty mentors Drs. Sam Kahng and Chris Winn recently published in the scientific journal Aquatic Geochemistry. The study assessed the magnitude and extent of the elevated calcium carbonate saturation state observed on previous expeditions to the Hawaiian Archipelago. (see paper)

March 17 - Seminar "In Search of Naturally Occuring Anti-Alzheimer's Small Molecules" with Dr. Arcadius V. Krivoshein, Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, Albany College of Pharmacy & Health Sciences, Albany, NY, 3:15 - 4:15 pm, Hawaii Loa Campus AC 205. (see flyer)

March 13 - Seminar "The Hawaiian Bobtail Squid: A Model for Studying Interactions with Beneficial Bacteria" with Dr. Spencer V. Nyholm, Associate Professor, Department of Molecular and Cell Biolgy, University of Connecticut, 2:00 - 3:00 pm, Hawaii Loa Campus AC 101. (see flyer)

March 9-13 - Dr. Yi Zhu, Assistant Professor of Computer Science, will present a paper entitled, "Reliability-Constrained Resource Allocation for Optically Interconnected Distributed Clouds," at the Optical Fiber Communication Conference and Exposition (OFC), to be held in San Francisco. Co-authors includes HPU undergraduate Yan Liang (Computer Science) and collaborators from the Fujitsu Laboratories of America.

March 6 - Seminar "Maximum age and missing time in shark vertebrae: the limits and validity of age estimates using bomb radiocarbon dating" with Dr. Allen Hia Andrews, NOAA Fisheries - Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center, 2:00-3:00pm, Hawaii Loa Campus AC 101. (see flyer)

HPU undergraduate John Johnson, graduate student Shannon Lyday, and faculty mentor Dr. David Hyrenbach recently published in Marine Ornithology. The study describes the first record of plastic ingestion in white-tailed tropicbirds and was conducted in collaboration with Sea Life Park and local non-profit Oikonos Ecosystems Knowledge. (see paper)

December 09-13 - Biology and Marine Science faculty members Drs. Brenda Jensen and Kristi West, together with MSMS students Jessica Jacob (MSMS 2012), Melannie Bachman and Angela Hansen, gave a combined 4 presentations of their current research on Hawaiian whales and dolphins at the 20th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals held at the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. (See abstracts)

December 05 - Seminar "Hawaii's marine species and the federal Endangered Species Act & Marine Mammal Protection Act" with Dr. Lance Smith, Regulatory Branch Chief & Deputy Assistant Regional Administrator for the Protected Resources Division at NOAA NMFS Pacific Islands Regional Office, 2:30-3:30pm, Hawaii Loa Campus AC 101. (see flyer)

MS in Marine Science graduate, Pam Michael, publishes part of her thesis in Fisheries Oceanography, entited , "Relative influence of static and dynamic features on black-footed albatross (Phoebastria nigripes) habitat use in central California Sanctuaries." Coauthors J. Jahncke and Ms. Michael’s research mentor  Dr. David Hyrenbach.  A pdf version of the article can be viewed here.

Marine Mammal Stranding Program Director, Kristi West, Ph.D., retrieves samples from a 55-foot sperm whale carcass that was towed ashore to Heeia Kea Small Boat Harbor. (Hawaii News Now, KHON, Star-Advertiser) HPU Marine Mammal Stranding Program, led by Dr. Kristi West, is hit by government funding cuts. The program is central to establishing what factors in the Pacific Ocean are threatening whales and dolphins. (HPU Today) (Hawaii News Now)

Dr. David Hyrenbach, Associate Professor of Oceanography, contributes with an inter-disciplinary team of 20 researchers from 14 organizations from the Western US and Japan to summarize the spatial overlap of three North Pacific albatross species and fisheries off the U.S. West Coast. (see article)

Dr. David Field, Dr. Keith Korsmeyer and Dr. Eric Vetter were interviewed on NBC News to provide perspective on the molasses spill and received national coverage. (Full Story)

Dr. Keith Korsmeyer, Professor of Biology, publishes with colleagues at University of Hawaii and University of Glasgow on respiration rates of Hawaiian marine invertebrates. (see paper)


Click here for more CNCS News and Events
CNCS Showcase

Wedge-tailed Shearwaters nest

HPU continues work with Hawaii Audubon to improve nesting habitat for Wedge-tailed Shearwaters at the Freeman Seabird Preserve, Blackpoint, Oahu 

The Hawai’i Pacific University pelagicos lab continues to work with Hawai’i Audubon to restore and manage the one-acre Freeman Seabird Preserve at Blackpoint. Volunteers worked every Saturday morning during the non-breeding season (early January to late March), weeding invasive plants, planting native vegetation, and building artificial nest sites using roof tiles from Reuse Hawai’i.  The first prospecting birds were sighted on the colony last week and one of the new artificial nests has already been occupied by a breeding pair.  We will monitor chick survivorship and growth from mid-July to mid-December, working with undergraduate students enrolled in a seabird ecology and conservation class. The 2014 season will be the sixth year of ongoing monitoring, with an annual increase of 25% and a peak colony size of 201 active nests in July 2013. Current predictions for El Niño conditions (50% probability), neutral (40% probability), and La Niña conditions (10% probability) during the chick provisioning season (August – December), suggest this will be an average to poor year for breeding shearwaters. (Image Gallery)

 Click here for more CNCS Showcase
Clubs and Societies
academic-advising.jpgTutoringBanner2.jpgsocial-net.jpg