Veterans Benefits

Hawaii Pacific University welcomes our veterans with military-friendly classes, convenient course scheduling, and support services to help you reach your educational goals.

Students receiving veteran benefits may register for courses online or at any Hawaii Pacific University registration center. Students must notify their advisor at the time of registration that they intend to use veteran benefits, so that we may assist you with your course certifications. Late certifications will result in the delay of benefit payments, so it is incumbent upon the student to ensure your certification is completed properly. Please read the information below carefully.

Recipients of veteran benefits must meet satisfactory progress standards in order to continue receiving benefits. Additionally, federal law prohibits the certification of courses that do not meet specific degree program requirements.

Not sure if college is right for you?  Visit here to learn about college benefits and options for veterans.  For more information about veteran educational programs, including the new Post-9/11 GI Bill and Yellow Ribbon, please click on the links below.

he Post-9/11 GI Bill went into effect on August 1, 2009. The bill provides significantly enhanced educational benefits for veterans who have served in the United States Armed Forces on active duty since September 11, 2001.

For general information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill, to find out if you are eligible for benefits, or to apply for benefits, please call the Department of Veteran Affairs at 888-GI-Bill-1, or visit

Under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, benefits for students vary by state. Benefits are pro-rated according to your benefit eligibility (time on active duty service). If you are 100% eligible for benefits, the VA will pay the 2015-2016 benefit amounts below. If you are less than 100% eligible, multiply the benefit amount times your eligibility rate.

Tuition: The VA school year commences on August 1st, and ends on July 31st. Effective August 1, 2016 tuition and fees up to $21,970.46 are covered for students who are 100% eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits. Students who are not 100% eligible are covered up to their percentage of eligibility. For example, a student who is rated at 90% eligibility is covered up to a maximum of $19,773.41 in tuition and fees for the academic school year. The VA will send your tuition payments directly to HPU, and credited to your account. If you are taking classes downtown, at Hawaii Loa campus, or online in the main campus terms, and you are 100% eligible for VA benefits, you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship to make up the difference in your tuition expenses. The Yellow Ribbon Scholarship for academic year 2015-2016 will cover an additional $10,000.00 in tuition and fees with $5000.00 coming from the VA and $5000.00 from HPU.  The Yellow Ribbon Scholarship for the 2016 – 2017 academic year increased to $13,100 ($6550 from HPU and $6550 from the VA).  The Yellow Ribbon scholarship for the 2017 – 2018 academic year has increased to $13,900 ($6950 from HPU and $6950 from the VA).

Student Fees: the Post-9/11 Bill will pay some of your required HPU fees, including tech fees and graduation fees. It will not cover transcript fees, athletic fees, parking fees, or other non-required fees. Fee payments are also sent directly to HPU.

Housing: to be eligible for housing benefits, you must:

  • Be a veteran or a dependent eligible for veteran benefits
  • Be taking classes MORE THAN ½ time
  • Be taking at least one of your classes in person for the Hawaii rate
  • If all classes are online, and MORE THAN ½ time, students are eligible for the online housing rate
  • Students who are registered MORE THAN ½ time, but less than full time, will receive a prorated payment based on their rate of pursuit.
  • Active duty service members or transferee spouse of service member will not receive a housing benefit while the originator of the benefit is active duty.

If you meet all of the first three requirements, you will receive housing payments while you are enrolled for up to $2712 per month (2016 – 2017 rate). This amount is prorated for partial months of enrollment.  On August 1st, 2017, the payment will be $2631.

Books & Supplies: if you are a veteran, you will receive up to $41.67 per credit ($1,000 per year max) for books and supplies. The VA will send housing and book payments directly to you.

While most students find the new bill more beneficial, some students may prefer to keep their benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill or other veteran educational programs rather than switch to the new bill. If you are eligible for benefits under more than one educational program, we strongly encourage you to review the comparison information on the VA’s website, or to discuss your situation with a VA Representative. Also, if you are eligible for recruitment bonuses or “kickers”, please contact the VA directly for more information at 1-888-GI-Bill-1. You may also wish to use the GI Bill Benefit Calculator at for estimated benefits.

If you have any questions and/or concerns, please read our "Frequently Asked Questions" page or click on the links at left for more information. You may also contact HPU's VA Coordinator directly at or at (808) 356-5222.

n 2009, the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33 of Title 38 U.S. Code) became the newest educational program offered by the Department of Veteran Affairs, but the new bill does not replace the VA's other educational programs, including:

We encourage all students to carefully research the benefits available to them before applying for a specific educational program.  Some helpful comparison tools are available at the links below; however, for your specific eligibility and entitlements, please call the Department of Veteran Affairs at 888-GI-Bill-1 to speak with an educational counselor.

Tip: keep in mind that under any educational program, your benefit may be different if you are on active duty orders or separated from service, as well as your accrued time in service.  Your benefit may also vary depending on whether you are a full-time or part-time student, and where you pursue your educational goals.  You may need to weigh all these variables over your anticipated educational career to determine which will be the best benefit for you.

Regardless of which educational benefit program you are using, you must REQUEST CERTIFICATION of your enrollment from HPU's VA office before you can receive any benefit payments.  

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a partnership between Hawaii Pacific University and the Department of Veteran Affairs, to supplement the tuition benefit of the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Yellow Ribbon program (HPU funds plus VA funds) will cover your actual tuition expenses at HPU for all required courses in an approved degree program, for up to $10,000 ($5,000 from HPU plus $5,000 from the VA) per year in addition to your base benefit.  In May 2016, the maximum Yellow Ribbon coverage increased to $13,100 for the 2016 – 2017 academic year.  For the 2017 – 2018 academic year, Yellow Ribbon coverage has increased to $13900 ($6950 from HPU plus $6950 from the VA).

To be eligible for a Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, you must:

  • Be a veteran or family member the VA has determined to be 100% eligible for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  Spouses of active duty service members do not qualify for Yellow Ribbon while the service member is active duty.
  • Be an HPU student in good academic standing
  • Be in a VA-approved degree program
  • Be registered for classes at Hawaii Pacific University (your courses must apply to your degree program), and
  • Successfully complete all registered classes – you may be required to repay HPU and the VA for the tuition for any class you fail or drop after the term begins.

The HPU School Certifying Officials will request Yellow Ribbon payments when required.  To have the payments applied to the tuition and fees, you must:

  • Complete the Request for Veteran Enrollment Certification form for your classes. This form must be completely filled out each term the student wishes to use GI Bill benefits.
  • Be sure to check the box for "Yellow Ribbon" on the form
  • If this is your first time using Post-9/11 Benefits at HPU, you must attach your letter (certificate) of eligibility from the VA that verifies you are 100% eligible for veteran benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • If you have separated from Active Duty Service (or Active Orders) since your last certification, you must attach a copy of your DD-214
  • Remember to re-certify each subsequent semester or term

Submit your application form and required attachments to:

VA Certifying Official / MCP
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 912
Honolulu, HI 96813-2882
FAX: 808-544-0285

We strongly encourage students wishing to use Yellow Ribbon funds to fill out the Request for Veteran Enrollment Certification well before the semester begins, as it may take 4-6 weeks for the VA to process your application. We are not responsible for processing or mail delays. We cannot approve you for Yellow Ribbon funds without your eligibility paperwork from the VA. If you choose to register for classes prior to finalizing your paperwork, you may personally responsible for tuition balances and any late fees on your account.

If you have any questions and/or concerns, please read our "Frequently Asked Questions" page or click on the links at left for more information.  You may also contact HPU's VA Coordinator directly at or at (808) 356-5222.

Step 1: Students planning to enroll under any GI Bill program must first submit the VA Form 22-1990 (Application for Veterans Educational Benefits). Forms are available at the Military Campus Programs offices on base or the Military/Veterans Center (UB Suite 912) at the downtown campus. Students may also apply online at

Step 2: VA-approved students will receive a letter or Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA once the student’s application has been processed and the student is now ready to register for courses. Simply forward a copy of your eligibility letter to the VA Coordinator at HPU.

Step 3: When you register for classes, complete the REQUEST FOR ENROLLMENT CERTIFICATION FORM, print, sign, and submit it to the HPU Veterans Affairs Coordinator.  This form will be accepted via:

  • Email to (scan and attach your signed and completed cert request form).  Please put "last name, first name, term, and Cert Request" in the subject line to ensure proper routing of your form.
  • Fax to 808-544-0285
  • In person or via US mail to: Hawaii Pacific University, VA Benefits Coordinator, 1164 Bishop Street, Suite 912, Honolulu, HI 96813

Please note: it is your responsibility to submit and verify receipt of the certification request form every semester or term that you enroll in classes, to continue receiving your VA benefits.  Enrollment certification requests will not be processed without a signature.

ADD/DROPS:  If you change your schedule, it is your responsibility to notify the HPU VA Benefits Coordinator at or 808-356-5222 to request adjustment of your certification, or submit a new certification request form with the adds and drops clearly indicated.  All changes in enrollment must be reported to the VA, and you are responsible for any overpayment or debt incurred.

Step 4: Students using Chapter 30, Chapter 35, Chapter 1606, or Chapter 1607 benefits must verify their attendance with the VA at the end of each month to receive payment.  Verification can be confirmed via the web by logging on to the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system at or by telephone at 1-877-823-2378.  Students using Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill) benefits DO NOT need to verify each month.

Concurrent Enrollment: If you are also taking classes at another school, or if you are a guest student at HPU while pursuing a degree elsewhere, you must submit a Parent-School Letter with your certification request. 

Using Tuition Assistance with your VA Benefits (TA-Top Up):  Students who were previously using Chapter 30 with TA-Top Up no longer send their tuition assistance directly to the VA in Muskogee, Oklahoma.  Students who are using VA Chapter 30 or Chapter 33 and tuition assistance, please forward a copy of your military tuition assistance form and your “Request for Veteran Enrollment Certification” form to the HPU Military/Veterans Center for certification.  The HPU School Certifying Official will submit the enrollment to the VA.

We thank you in advance for complying with the new policy and procedures for requesting enrollment certification each term.  This process will help us better service our HPU veterans, servicemen and dependents in a more timely and efficient manner.  We thank you for your cooperation!

If you have any questions and/or concerns, please read our "Frequently Asked Questions" page or click on the links at left for more information.  You may also contact HPU's VA Coordinator directly at or at (808) 356-5222.

The new Post-9/11 GI Bill will cover your eligibility percentage of your tuition and fees to attend Hawaii Pacific University.  Active-duty service members are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon payments. 

To be eligible for this benefit, you must currently be on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, and you must have served at least 90 days on active duty since September 11, 2001.

Active-duty service members are not eligible for the housing stipend, but became eligible for the book stipend on October 1st, 2011.

If you prefer, you may combine your GI Bill benefit with your military Tuition Assistance (top-up) to reduce your entitlement reduction, but your benefit will not exceed your actual tuition and fee expenses.

For more information, or to apply for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill while you are on active duty, please visit the VA website at

In addition, you may also be eligible to transfer some or all of your benefits to your spouse and/or dependent children if you are currently on active duty or in the Selected Reserve, have served at least six years in the armed forces, and agree to serve four additional years.

Service members who have served at least 10 years or are retirement eligible have reduced service requirements, and children of fallen soldiers may have additional benefits.

Please visit the Defense Department’s website at for more information on Transferability of Benefits (TEB) and how to apply.

If you have any questions and/or concerns, please contact the VA Coordinator at or at (808) 356-5222, or click on the links at left for more information.

If you are taking classes at two or more schools at the same time, you can use your Veteran's benefits to pay for your concurrent enrollment.  We and your other school(s) will need additional information from you to process your VA certification.  Please check below for the situation that applies to you.

If HPU is your Parent School

If you are pursuing your degree from HPU, then HPU is considered your "Parent School", and you will be considered a "guest student" at your other institutions.  In order for the VA Certifying Official at your other school to process your certification, you will need to request a Parent School Letter from us to be sent to the other school.

This letter verifies that the classes you are taking at your secondary school will be applied to your degree program at HPU.  Remember, the VA will only pay for classes that are required for your degree.

To request a Parent-School letter, please email with the following information.  Please note, you will need to make a separate request for each term you are enrolled concurrently:

  • Your name
  • Your student ID @
  • Last 4 SSN or VA file number
  • The VA program (chapter) you are using
  • Your HPU degree program
  • Your HPU academic advisor's name (if known)
  • Other school’s name and address
  • Course(s) taking at other school
  • Dates (or term name) of your enrollment at other school
  • Fax number/attention to send the letter to (if not provided, we will mail it to the school)

If HPU is your Secondary School

If you are pursuing a degree from another school, then that institution is considered your "Parent School" and you are a "guest student" at HPU.  In order for us to certify your HPU enrollment to the VA, we will need a Parent-School Letter from your parent school, specifying that your HPU classes will be applied to your degree program at your parent school.  Remember, the VA will only pay for classes that are required for your degree.

Please submit an Enrollment Certification Request form for your HPU classes, and contact the school certifying official at your parent school to request a Parent-School letter.  You may attach the Parent-School letter to your certification request, or have it sent directly to:

VA School Certifying Official
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 912
Honolulu, HI 96817
FAX: 808-544-0285

Important Information about Housing Benefits and Concurrent Enrollment

Remember, if you are using the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you must meet both of the housing eligibility requirements to collect the BAH benefit.  You must be taking classes more than half-time, AND you must be taking at least one class in person (not entirely online). 

You will only receive the housing benefit for the calendar period during which you meet BOTH of the housing eligibility requirements.  If your terms have different start and end dates, please pay careful attention to these requirements and plan accordingly.

The housing benefit of the Post-9/11 GI Bill is based on the geographic locality of the ZIP code of the school at which you are taking your in-person class, regardless of which school is your Parent school.

For more information, please visit