Financial Aid

Image 8ETerms and Conditions

  • Financial Aid – You must apply for financial aid each academic year (after January 1). The academic year runs from July 1 to June 30. All awards are estimated and depend on eligibility and availability of funds. Information received after your aid is awarded can affect the amount of your financial aid award.

  • Financial Aid Eligibility/Enrollment Hours – To be eligible for financial aid (including federal loans) you must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours (half time). The Federal Pell Grant will be paid based on the number of credit hours enrolled. Other campus-based aid usually requires full-time enrollment.  Hours enrolled are determined at the beginning of each semester/term.

  • Over awards – If you receive federal aid (Title IV aid) that exceeds your budget (cost of attendance), federal regulations may require you to repay funds (refer to the HPU Web site at or the Campus Pipeline for more information about your cost of attendance).

  • Resources – Scholarships, grants, benefits, or other contributions you have received or will receive directly from the awarding source, e.g., agencies, social or fraternal clubs, civic organizations, vocational rehabilitation programs, ROTC, foundations, businesses, unions, or other groups, are all resources that must be reported to the Financial Aid office. Sometimes resources are awarded late, after students have already received their Financial Aid Award, however, they must still be reported. Late notification will necessitate changing your award statement and may result in a reduction of your aid.
  • Scholarships - HPU reserves the rignt to cancel, reduce, or substitute an institutional scholarship.  HPU scholarships that pay institutional costs, such as tuition, will be reduced in the case where a student receives other direct tuition benefits from an outside source, such as, but not limited to, VA tuition benefits or employer tuition payments made directly to the institution.  Tuition scholarships from all sources cannot exceed the cost of actual tuition, and must meet the terms of the specific scholarship
  • Master Promissory Note (MPN) Instructions – All new applicants must complete the MPN through the Federal Direct Loan site at You must complete online entrance counseling and the online MPN with an electronic signature in order to have your loan processed. Also, make sure you submit all your required documents to the Financial Aid Office. You can check your financial aid status and the status of all your required documents on the HPU Pipeline. Required documents are posted on our financial aid Web site and on the HPU Pipeline. If you are a continuing student, (have previously completed the MPN), you do not need to complete it again. Simply review your Financial Aid Award on Campus Pipeline and accept or decline the loans awarded. Most loans are processed and transferred from the lender to the student’s account by electronic fund transfer (EFT).

  • Financial Aid Funds – Financial aid funds are not disbursed until after the start of the semester. Early applicants (those who apply by March 1) should have their accounts paid and remaining funds disbursed to them by the end of the second week of school.  Late applicants will be processed as completed and may not have their accounts paid and funds disbursed until several weeks into the semester/term. You must come prepared to meet your financial obligations (to pay account balances and to cover your book and other living expenses) during the first several weeks of school, as all funds may not be ready for disbursement at the start of the semester/term.

  • Plus Loan Instructions – The PLUS Loan Application and Promissory Note is completed by the parents of undergraduate students applying for the loan. It is our policy to routinely award the PLUS Loan to dependent students to allow their parents to cover all unmet budget expenses. After reviewing the online Estimated Financial Aid award and determining the Net Family share, parents should decide if borrowing PLUS Loan funds is necessary and how much should be borrowed. Other alternatives, such as the monthly payment plan offered by Tuition Management Systems (TMS ) should be also considered.

  • Creditworthiness – The PLUS Loan is creditworthy loan and requires the approval of the lender before we can process the loan. If we know that you have not been approved for a Parent PLUS Loan by the Department of Education, the Financial Aid Office will change the student’s Estimated Financial Aid Award, cancel the PLUS Loan and award the student a smaller, Unsubsidized Stafford (student) Loan (usually $4,000.00) Then, the family will have to decide how unmet budget costs will be met or changed.

  • Loan Transmission – Your loan will not be processed until you have accepted your loan online via HPU Pipeline and, for first-time borrowers, you have completed a Federal Stafford Master Promissory Note (MPN) and completed Loan Entrance Counseling for new HPU borrowers.  The online process takes about 30 minutes. You must complete your online MPN and/or your online parent’s PLUS Loan Application and Promissory Note before your loans can be processed.

  • Loan Counseling – Before funds can be disbursed, all first-time students at Hawai’i Pacific University must complete a one-time online Student Loan Entrance Interview via the Department of Education.  You can begin the process at After you complete the entrance loan counseling you will also be required to complete a Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN).

  • Selection of Lender – You may choose one of our suggested lenders online, or any lender of your choosing.  We recommend these lenders because of their proven savings and service to borrowers over the life of the loan.

  • Change of Address – All Financial aid correspondence is mailed to the address on record in the Registrar’s Office (home or local address). Students should make any changes to their mailing or permanent address online via HPU Pipeline.  We frequently notify students of important financial aid information by e-mail or over the phone. Be sure to advise the Registrar’s Office of any changes in your address, phone or e-mail, e.g., when you change your home to local address (or your summer or winter address). You may make changes to address on the HPU Pipeline.

  • Federal Work Study (FWS) – These funds are not used to pay fixed expenses like tuition or on-campus housing expenses that must be paid at the start of the semester, since they are earned throughout the semester. The FWS program is designed to allow students to work and earn funds to pay non-fixed expenses such as apartment rent, food, transportation, and other personal expenses that may vary from month to month. Remember! Do not count these funds when determining how much aid you have to pay upfront expenses such as tuition and on-campus housing.

  • Financial Aid Award/Refunds – Your financial aid award will be used first to pay your tuition and residence hall charges (if you are living on campus). After these payments are made, any funds remaining will be refunded directly to you by check for use in paying your off-campus housing (if you are living off campus) and other living expenses. Financial aid refunds are not disbursed until after the start of school. For those who complete all of their financial aid requirements early, refunds are usually made in the first two weeks of the semester. If you are late completing your financial aid award requirements, payment of tuition will be held in abeyance pending completion of your award. If you plan to live off campus, you should have funds sufficient to pay for your housing deposit, first month’s rent, and enough living expense funds to sustain you until your financial aid refund is paid.

  • Financial Aid for On Campus Housing (Residence Halls) – Your financial aid will not pay for the reservation deposit ($500) required by the Housing Office. Financial aid, however, can be used to hold your place on the early reservation list if you have submitted all of the documentation listen in your Estimated Financial Aid Award Notification and Offer and have been cleared by the Housing Office. If your award is still incomplete because of failure to submit documentation, you will be dropped from the reservation list. The requirement includes failure to be preapproved for a PLUS Loan. June 1st is the priority deadline for completion of your aid package for the confirmation of your status on the on-campus housing list. November 1st is the deadline for spring. If your aid is insufficient to cover both your tuition and on-campus housing costs, you are responsible for paying the balance due by the deadline established by the Housing Office.

  • Payment of Financial Aid for Off Campus Housing – You may use any financial aid you have that exceeds your tuition to pay off-campus housing charges. Even though you plan to use financial aid to pay for your off-campus housing and other living expenses, you must be prepared to pay these expenses from you own funds if you have delays in completing your financial aid. Every student who is living off campus should come to school with enough money to cover first-month expenses.  If you plan to use financial aid to pay for off-campus housing, it is important for you to make sure that you have completed all of your financial aid forms and information at least 60 days before the beginning of the semester. You may check on your financial aid on the HPU Pipeline or call the Financial Aid Office at  (808) 544-0253.

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) – Undergraduate students must maintain a 2.0 grade point average on 67% of the classes for which they register. Graduate Students must maintain a 3.0 grade point average on 67% of the classes for which they register. Students that earns zero credits in any term will automatically be suspended.  Students cannot attempt more than 150% of the credits required for their degree program   Some exceptions may apply; please see the financial aid web site or call the Financial Aid Office at (808) 544-0253.

  • Reapply for Financial Aid Every School Year – Financial aid is not automatically renewed from school year to school year. Remember to reapply by March 1 for the upcoming school year.

  • HPU Pipeline – After you are accepted to the University, you will receive a login name and a password that can be used to access your financial aid status on HPU Pipeline any time you wish. You can review your financial aid requirements, missing documents, accept your award, and view your student account.

  • Financial Aid Web Site – Policies, procedure, documents, hints, and guidelines are all listed on the financial aid web site. Please review our web site for more helpful information.