Prospective Students

Transfer Student


Deciding where to complete your education is a big decision. In an effort to help you navigate through the process of transferring to Hawai‘i Pacific University, we have designed this page especially for you.

Each year approximately 600 transfer students from across the United States and the world choose to enroll at HPU to pursue their educational goals. HPU values the diverse backgrounds and experiences that transfer students bring to both the campus and the classroom, and we hope that you decide to join us soon.

What kind of Transfer Student are you?

  • Adult Learner
    • HPU has developed a number of services to meet the needs of adult students (25 and older). The Adult Services staff provides personal attention to the program planning and concerns of returning adult students. To find out more visit
  • International
    • Students with previous studies at educational institutions outside of the U.S. may qualify to receive transfer credit at HPU. HPU will evaluate post-high school studies completed outside of the U.S. on a case-by-case basis. Click here for more information
  • Service Members and Veterans
    • HPU's Military Campus Programs works closely with U.S. Military Service Members and Department of Defense personnel to assist in the realization of educational and career goals. Find out more at
  • Traditional
    • Generally includes students who have at least 24 transferable credit hours, are U.S. citizens, and are under age 25. To meet your Admissions Counselor and find out when they are visiting your area go to

Articulation Agreements

HPU has more than 100 articulation agreements with various institutions throughout the U.S. recognizing and guaranteeing transfer credit for courses completed with a grade of "C-" or higher. Students completing an Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree or the California Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (I.G.E.T.C.) will have fulfilled all general education credits toward their baccalaureate degree program at HPU, with the exception of those courses that are prerequisites to upper-division and major courses. All lower-division, upper-division and major courses will need to be completed at HPU unless the course was completed at a college or university prior to transferring. Students must also complete their last 30 semester hours in residence at HPU.