Study Abroad Scholarships in Japan

Hakodate University Scholarship

Overview: This scholarship is for students who have an exchange agreement with Hakodate University (HU). Students must be studying abroad at HU for at least one semester to be eligible. Students can find more information by contacting the HPU Study Abroad director Jon Davidann.


  • Stipend (that will cover housing and living expenses)

Aoyama University 

Overview: Aoyama University offers an International Exchange Foundation Scholarship for 100,000 yen in total. It is only offered to those who are on a student visa and the receipients will be chosen based on the academic standings of their home university, the information on the application, and their interview in Japanese. All exchange students will be informed about the details before the scholarship application period.


  • Total: 100,000 yen

Japan Association of Student Services Organization (JASSO) – Nagoya University


Overview:  Nagoya University (NU) is offering JASSO scholarship to exchange students. Students must have an exchange agreement with NU and be studying abroad for one academic year to apply.  Students should visit the website to find more information.


  • A initial award
  • Monthly stipend (that will assist with living expenses etc.)

MEXT Research Student Scholarship

The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu is presently accepting applications for the 2011 MEXT Research Student Scholarship for graduate students.  MEXT offers scholarships to foreign students who wish to study at Japanese universities in various fields.

Scholarship benefits include:

·         Monthly allowance (approximately 152,000 yen)

·         Transportation to and from Japan

·         School fees (including enrollment fees, tuition and entrance exam fees)

Basic qualifications are that the applicant be:

·         A US citizen

·         Under 35 years of age (as of April 2, 1975)

·         Graduate of a university

·         In good mental and physical health to study in Japan

·         Able to arrive in Japan either during the first week of April or October

For more information, please see the “Study in Japan” website at:  (Although the information posted is still for the 2010 Scholarship, information should remain generally the same for 2011). Please scroll down to section 7 for application information MEXT application.

Contact Lisa Sakamoto directly with any questions or concerns.

Lisa Sakamoto
Cultural Affairs & Public Information
Consulate General of Japan
1742 Nuuanu Avenue
Honolulu, HI  96817
tel:  (808) 543-3126
fax: (808) 543-3170

Melissa Matsubara
Director, International Exchange and Study Abroad Programs
Hawai'i Pacific University
International Center
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200
Honolulu, Hawai'i 96813-2882
Phone: (808) 544-0288
Fax: (808) 544-9355