Exchange Program-Korea

Soonchunhyang University

About Soonchunhyang University:
Soonchunhyang University (SCH), originally founded as a medical college in 1978, now offers undergraduate degrees from the colleges of humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, engineering and medicine. The name ‘Soonchunhyang’ (순천향) means ‘the peaceful hometown complying with the will of heaven’. Located in a rural town on the central west coast of South Korea, Soonchunhyang University is surrounded by quaint mountains and is near historical cultural attractions. Seoul is about 90 minutes by bus and near a famous resort area. It also offers many study abroad programs as they are the only university in South Korea to hold a Global Village. Graduate programs are also offered. SCH has a reputation for particularly strong medicine and medical sciences departments, along with four teaching hospitals known for their advanced technological capacity in the bio-tech industry.

Location: Sinchang-myeon, Asan, Chungcheongnam-do, South Korea

Website or for more information on exchange:click here. Application, along with other helpful resources can be found here. For a guide for getting ready for Soonchunhyang University click here.

Academics Available:
SCH is open to all majors, but recommended for International Studies/Relations/Business Majors.  Korean language classes are mandatory at SCH.  This program is appropriate for students needing to fulfill the HPU foreign language requirement. Other coursework about Korea taken at SCH can be used as HPU electives or, where appropriate, to fulfill other degree requirements. Classes available include, but are not limited to: mandatory Korean language classes, English classes on Korean history, Korean cultural heritage, social and cultural history of Korea, Korean political economy, Korean business and economics, Korean society and other Korea-related courses.

Dates to Remember:


Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

Fall Semester

April 28

September 3 - December 21

Spring Semester

November 3

March 5 - June 22

* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring. 

Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Must be fluent in English

Application Procedure:


  • Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application.
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

SCH Application Process:

1) The application process is done 100% online.  We do not need any hard (paper) copies of the documents for the application process.

2) Students should go to our website:

When filling out the online application:

3) Password - The students can make their own password.

4) Main Contact Person - This is the student's Student Exchange Advisor (or equivalent).

5) Four forms must be uploaded to the site (six if the students have a passport & passport photo). Please make sure the Nomination form is signed by the student’s Student Exchange Advisor (or equivalent).

6) Students do not need to upload a passport or passport photo to apply to be an exchange student. However, if they are accepted, they will have to submit their passport photo/information page and passport sized photo before we can issue them an official Certificate of Admission. If they did not upload either of them, they can simply email both of them to at

7) To live in the dorms, a tuberculin skin test or chest x-ray dated within 3 months of the dorm move-in date is required. If positive, a chest X-ray is required. Students are required to submit either of the test results AFTER THIER ACCEPTANCE. (So please DO NOT upload when applying)

8) Students can save their application so they do not have to complete it in one sitting. When they click “Save”, they will be given an access number. They need this number (and their password) to revisit their application. They can click the “Modify Online Application” button on the webpage.

9) Once the application is complete and all the forms have been uploaded, the students can click "I Agree" and the click "Submit". Once they click “Submit” they will not be able to change or add to their application. If they made a mistake or forgot a form they would have to fill out a new application.

10) If the students have any problems please contact us so we can try and resolve the problem.


Health Insurance: Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students.  HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students studying abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at

  1. Students can fill in the health check themselves. 

**If the student has pre-existing medical conditions or food allergies, we would ask her/him to inform their Study Abroad Advisor of his/her situation. This will help us communicate with the Study Abroad Advisor if an emergency situation should arise when the student is in Korea. If the student is taking medication, we strongly recommend bringing prescription medication that can last the duration of the program.**

Housing: Exchange students live on campus in Soonchunhyang University residence halls. Room is provided free to exchange students, who share a quad room with three Korean roommates. Exchange students are assigned different Korean roommates each month. Meals are taken at the University cafeteria. Note: due to space allocations between male and female residents, SU reserves the right to select exchange participants based on the availability of dorm rooms assigned by gender.

The Cultural Internship Program: Exchange students live in a special dormitory with Korean students, and they are required to meet and speak with small groups of Korean students for up to 15 hours per week. SCH provides benefits to interns in the form of an 800,000 KRW airfare reimbursement, a 120,000 KRW weekly stipend for the duration of the program, and a full housing waiver. While at SCH, students will also be learning Korean and taking courses in English. Students are allowed to participate in the internship for up to three academic semesters.

Currency: The current exchange rate can be calculated online at

Visa Information: Exchange participants apply for a student visa through the Consulate General of Korea, 2756 Pali Hwy., Honolulu, HI (phone: 595-6109). U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and on line at You can find information about the student visa process at

HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog