Exchange Program-Korea

Sogang University

About Sogang: 

Sogang University is nationally ranked highly overall in the Korean educational system.  It is a Catholic school with great strengths in their schools of business and economics, placing emphasis in their English speaking courses and international appeal. The university offers 75 student clubs to participate in for extracurricular activities. These clubs range from cultural oriented activities such as traditional Korean dance and Taekwondo, to general interests such as sports and music. The university's student body numbers around 15,000 undergraduates and graduates, 470 of the total are international students.

Location:  Seoul, Korea

Website: or to view a fact sheet click here.

Academics Available:  Sogang University is open to all majors.  * Courses Offered in English

The courses for the Fall 2015 semester will not be available until a couple of months before the actual semester. For pre-approval, students should refer the student to the course list for Fall 2014. The link is as follows: Please click Academic Year - 1st Semester - Undergraduate School - Check Courses for Exchange Students. Then you will be able to check the list of courses offered in English and the syllabi as well. 

Dates to Remember:


Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

Fall Semester

May 10

August 29 - December 19

Spring Semester

November 10

March 2 - June 20  

* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring. 

Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Must be fluent in English

Application Procedure:

  • Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application Application Form (download)  * Health Report Form (download)
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

Health Insurance:  Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students.  HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at

Housing Accommodations:  All international students will stay at Gonzage Hall in Sogang University. These dorms are locked between 12:00 and 5:00 a.m.  Curfew is strictly enforced. Students staying in the dormitory must follow the dormitory regulations. Students who do not follow the regulations may be asked to leave the dormitory, and the dormitory fee will not be refunded. All rooms are equipped with the following essentials: beds, desks, study chairs, closet, locker, land networking, fan, shoe cabinets, microwave, sofa, TV, laundry machine, air conditioners, and bathroom. Students should personally prepare any items which they believe are essential during their stay in Korea such as a PC or notebook computer. Student can find more information on the Gonzage Hall dormity at

Currency:  The current exchange rate can be calculated online at

Visa Information:  If you want to stay in Korea more than 90 days, you are required to register at a local immigration office having the jurisdiction over the place of your stay within 90 days from the date of your entry. To register, you should make an application to a local or district Immigration office having jurisdiction over the place of your stay, either by visiting in person or by proxy. U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and online at http://travel.state.govYou can find information about the student visa process at


HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog