Exchange Program-Japan

Obirin University

About Obirin University
Located in the suburbs of Tokyo, Obirin University derives its name from "beautiful cherry orchard," highlighting the cherry blossoms that bloom on campus each spring. The name also shows it historical link with Oberlin College in Ohio, the alma mater of the school's founder. Over seven thousand students study at Obirin, which also includes a junior high school, senior high school and junior college. Exchange students enroll and study in the Reconnaissance Japan Program (RJP), specially designed for international students.

Location: Machida City, Tokyo, Japan

Website: [click on R J Program] or for more information regarding exchange: click here.

Academics Available:  Classes available for Japanese language study, Japanese minor, International Studies (Asia concentration), International Relations, other HPU majors, core course substitutions, electives. To view a PDF of the courses Obirin offers click here.

Dates to Remember:


Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

Fall Semester

May 1

September 5- January 23

Spring Semester

November 1

April 19 - July 28

* Fall Semester is not available due to conflicts with our academic calendar. You may only choose between attending Spring Semester or Full Year at this university.

* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring. 

Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Completion of at least one course in Japanese with a B average, or higher.

Application Procedure:

  • Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

Health Insurance:  Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. You may check with your current provider to see if they cover a study abroad, or you may choose an additional provider to cover you while overseas. Please consult our Health Insurance page found in our Resources section for more information.

Housing Accommodations:  Surugadai provides free (except for utilities) single room housing in new dormitories to HPU exchange students. Furnishings include private bath, desk, bed, LCD television, internet connection etc.

Currency:  The current exchange rate can be calculated online at

Visa Information: Student exchange participants apply for a student visa through the Consulate General of Japan, 1742 Nuuanu Ave., Honolulu, HI (phone: 543-3111). Website:  and

U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and online at http://travel.state.govYou will find detailed information on the student visa process at

Additional information about living in Japan:

Recent Participants:

Vasquez, Jonathan   Spring '12- Fall '12

Olson, Cassandra


HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog