Exchange Program-Japan

Hakodate University

About Hakodate University:
Hakodate University (HU), a co-ed private institution founded in 1965, offers majors in various areas of business and computer sciences. It also has an affiliated junior college and high school. A Japanese language program is offered to exchange students from HPU and several sister schools in Australia and China.

Location: Hakodate University, Japan

Website [Japanese only]

Academics Available:  The exchange program to Hakodate is a two-semester (fall-spring sequence) program to earn a minor in Japanese at HPU. The period of study in Japan at HU is from late September to mid-February (followed by a winter break) and from early April until mid-July.

Dates to Remember:


Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

Fall Semester

See Melissa Matsubara

See Melissa Matsubara

Spring Semester

See Melissa Matsubara

See Melissa Matsubara

* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring. 

Application for full year is June. 

Link to the Hakodate Calendar

Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester.
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU.
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • Must have a minimum of at least JPE 2200 or higher.

Admission Requirements:

  • Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

Health Insurance: 
Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. You may check with your current provider to see if they cover a study abroad, or you may choose an additional provider to cover you while overseas. Please consult our Health Insurance page found in our Resources section for more information.

Housing Accommodations:
Exchange students live in furnished apartments provided by HU.  Students must contact the university housing office to make housing accommodations.

Visa Information:

Student exchange participants apply for a student visa through the Consulate General of Japan, 1742 Nuuanu Ave., Honolulu, HI (phone: 543-3111). Website:
U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and online at
You will find detailed information on the student visa process at
Additional information about living in Japan:

Recent Participants: 

Johansson, Johanna- 2013-2014
Majied, Ali- 2012-2013
Nagle, Stephen- 2012-2013
Bingham, Nicholas 2012-2013
Herd, Alexandra- 2011-2012
Daniels, Douglas- 2011-2012

HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog