Summer Programs-Japan

Summer Programs at Hokuriku University

About Hokuriku University
Located in Ishikawa Prefecture, on the Sea of Japan, Hokuriku University began has a pharmacology school (1975) and has expanded into a comprehensive university with major programs in foreign languages (established in 1987) and law (1992). The University's International Exchange Center annually offers a one-month Japanese Language Summer Program to students from HU's sister schools in Mongolia, China, Korea, Spain, Germany, Australia, the Russian Republic and the U.S. The 20 students selected participate in an international seminar to learn Japanese together, in addition to having field trips to sights around Kanazawa city; culture classes (flower arranging, kimono, tea); visits to an elementary school and other events. HU provides one-way transportation from Kansai International Airport (Osaka) to its campus.

Location: Hokuriku University, 1-1 Taiyogaoka, Kanazawa, Ishikawa Pref., Japan 920-1180

Website: or for more information regarding exchange: click here.

Academics Available:  Daily Japanese language classes (level is determined by exam, after arrival), plus introductory afternoon classes on tea ceremony, calligraphy, kimono wearing, flower arrangement and Japanese current events.

Dates to Remember:

Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

See Melissa Matsubara

July - August

Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Completion of at least one course in Japanese with a B average, or higher.

Application Procedure:

  • Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

Health Insurance:  Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students.  HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at

Housing Accommodations:  Participants stay in Shoun Kaikan student dormitory complex and meals are taken at the campus cafeteria.

Note: in addition to paying HPU summer tuition for one three-credit SE course, the participant also pays, upon arrival at HU, a 75,000 yen program fee directly to HU, which covers dorm accommodations, two meals a day and excursions/activities.

Visa Information: Student exchange participants apply for a student visa through the Consulate General of Japan, 1742 Nuuanu Ave., Honolulu, HI (phone: 543-3111). Website: U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and online at

Additional information about living in Japan:

HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog