Graduate Exchange Programs-Korea

Graduate Studies at Soonchunhyang University

About Soonchunhyang University:  
Soonchunhyang University (SCH), originally founded as a medical college in the1970’s. today the university is well recognized in Korea for international studies and relations. The university is especially welcoming to exchange students who are from English speaking countries by offering cultural internships to study abroad students. SCH has a large graduate program which has five different department and is strong in areas of International Relations and Business. The university is located on a hillside of the central west coast of South Korea, about 90 minutes by bus from Seoul. Students who would like to know more about Soonchunhyang University can visit the university website. 

Location:  Chungnam 339-745, Korea


Academics Available:  SCH is open to all majors, but recommended for International Studies/Relations/Business Majors. SCH has a large graduate department comprised of five departments of Graduate school: Education, Industrial Information, Public Administration, and Health Science. Student can view SCH website for available courses or make an appointment with the Exchange Programs coordinator. 

Dates to Remember:


Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

Fall Semester

June 10 

Dates are on Sogang website 

Spring Semester

December 10

Dates are on Sogang website     

Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Must be fluent in English

Application Procedure:

  • Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara (be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan). 
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.  
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application.
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application (this depends on the individual university’s application requirements).
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

Health Insurance:  Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students.  HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students studying abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at

Housing Accommodations:  The Global Village in SCH provides great accommodations for exchange students. Students can enjoy amenities such as free internet, fully equipped media room, study rooms, and also lounge area with TV and sofa. Students can view SCH for more information on Global Village.

 Currency:  The current exchange rate can be calculated online at

Visa Information:  Exchange participants apply for a student visa through the Consulate General of Korea, 2756 Pali Hwy., Honolulu, HI (phone: 595-6109). U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and on line at

HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog