Graduate Exchange Programs-Korea

Graduate Studies at Sogang University

About Sogang University:  
Sogang University is highly ranked in the Korean national education system.  It is a Catholic school with great strengths in the areas of business and economics, placing emphasis on their English speaking courses and international appeal. Sogang University is located in Seoul, Korea’s capital. The university has a very large campus with a student body of over fifteen thousand of which four thousand are graduate students and other international students from various parts of the world. Sogang is well known for its International Studies graduate program that offers students an Asian perspective of global business. In addition, Sogang offers courses from its twenty two graduate programs that present small class sizes and internships within Seoul. In addition to Sogang academics the university has over seventy five clubs from Taekwondo to Korean traditional dance which showcase Korean culture. Students interested in learning more about Sogang University and their graduate programs can view the university website.

Location:  Seoul, Korea  


Academics Available:  Sogang University has twenty two majors and three interdisciplinary programs. Students cam take graduate courses from Korean Literature to Economics. Students can view courses offered on Sogang University website. 

Dates to Remember:


Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

Fall Semester

June 10 

Dates are on Sogang website 

Spring Semester

December 10

Dates are on Sogang website     

 Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Must be fluent in English

Application Procedure:

  • Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application. 
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

Health Insurance:  Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students.  HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at

Housing Accommodations: Sogang University provides on campus housing to its exchange students. The Gonzaga Hall is where most international students live. The rooms are fully furnished and have a strict curfew policy between 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. Students need to turn in the housing application to reserve a spot. There is additional housing information on the university website. 

As an alternative to the dormitory option, many foreign students may choose to stay in a boarding house. The Office of International Affairs at Sogang University will assist in locating a suitable boarding house near the campus. Students who wish to stay in boarding houses should contact the Office of International Affairs in advance and arrive a few days prior to the beginning of the semester.

Currency:  The current exchange rate can be calculated online  at

Visa Information: If you want to stay in Korea for more than 90 days, you are required to register for this visa. You must apply for and complete this registration within 90 days from your date of entry. You must register by personally visiting the immigration office specific to the district you will be residing in. US Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and online at

HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog