Graduate Exchange Programs-Australia

Graduate studies at James Cook University

About James Cook University:
James Cook University was established in 1970, in Queensland, Australia.  JCU has four extended campuses, but participants will be studying in either the Townsville or the Cairns campus. Today the JCU student body expands, from over fifteen thousand students between the two campuses. James Cook University is Australia’s leading marine and tropic research university.  The common student facilities that are offered on both campuses are the sport center, library, and student housing. More information is available on the official JCU website.

Location:  Queensland, Australia


Academics Available: Classes for all majors are available.  There are fantastic facilities and classes available to Marine Science majors.  The School of Marine and Tropic Sciences in JCU is the most advanced, compared to other universities in Australia. Because the JCU campus is near the Great Barrier Reef, it has helped the university become highly respectable in its Marine Sciences. The university has invested in research vessels, aquarium facilities, and is partner with other marine facilities outside the campus, which gives students a unique opportunity to explore Australian marine life.  Students majoring in Marine Sciences are encouraged to apply. Students can see what courses are offered at James Cook University by visting the JCU website.

Dates to Remember:


Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

Fall Semester

See Melissa Matsubara

July - December

Spring Semester

See Melissa Matsubara

January - June

Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Must be fluent in English

Application Procedure:

  • Complete the Inquiry Form.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Ms. Melissa Matsubara
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

Health Insurance:  Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students.  HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at

Housing Accommodations: Both Townsville and Cairns offer on campus housing for students. JCU offers housing options for students who prefer double or single accommodations.  These rooms will vary in size, price, and amenities available. In addition, JCU housing office can assist students in finding outside campus housing.  To check out housing options and prices, view the JCU website.

Currency Calculator:  Currency exchange rate for the Australian Dollar (AUD) can be calculated at:

Visa Information: Students can find more information by going to the Australian Government website. The Consulate General of Australia information is available at 524-5050. U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and online at

HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog