Graduate Exchange Programs-Australia

Graduate studies at Deakin University

About Deakin University:
Deakin University is located in Victoria, Australia’s smallest mainland state, with Melbourne as its capital. Exchange students attend classes at the Geelong Campus of DU (one hour train ride from Melbourne). The second largest city in Victoria, Geelong (aboriginal word for "bay") has a population close to 200,000 and is noted for Bells Beach and Torquay, famous surfing sites. The Geelong campus is set on a 300 hectare site and is the second largest campus of the University, with around 4,000 students. Located approximately 7 miles from city center, a daily bus service operates from the University to the city and surrounding areas.  Geelong campus information.

Location: Deakin University (Geelong Campus), Australia - Geelong Victoria 3217 Australia


Academics Available: Deakin University is open to all majors.  View the Deakin course list for class availability.

Dates to Remember:


Application Due

Study Abroad Dates

Fall Semester

April 1st

July  – October 

Spring Semester

November 1st

March  – June 

 Admission Requirements:

  • Must have attended HPU for one semester
  • Must intend to graduate from HPU
  • Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
  • Must be fluent in English

Application Procedure:

  • Complete the Inquiry Form data sheet.
  • Schedule and attend a formal interview with Ms. Melissa Matsubara
  • Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
  • Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
  • Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application
  • Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
  • Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
  • Sign a Credit Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.

Health Insurance:  Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students.  HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at

Housing Accommodations: Geelong offers on-campus housing for students upon availability.  Each resident is housed in single room accommodation, with amenities, such as telephone and computer access. Bedrooms are furnished, heated and carpeted. There are shared bathrooms, dining rooms, laundry and recreational areas. Off-campus housing is also available. There is more information on housing on the DU website.

Visa Information: Participants can apply for a visa online. Information is at the Australian Department of Immigration.  U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and on line at

HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog