About Exchange Programs

Information for Incoming Exchange Students


Hawai'i Pacific University is proud to offer exchange programs with many partner institutions world wide.  This page provides necessary information for our partner universities' staff and student body about what they can expect in general from HPU, and how to apply to participate on an exchange program.

Incoming Exchange students vs. visiting (fee paying) students:

Definitions: Exchange Students are students who have applied to study abroad through one of the universities listed below and have been formally nominated by their home university to study as an exchange student at HPU. All other students who would like to spend one or two semesters at HPU are considered visiting students, and they can follow the steps for the Visiting Student Program.

If you have been formally nominated As an exchange student by one of the schools below, You are considered an incoming exchange student, and please follow the steps on this page.

Bond University
Deakin University
Griffith University
James Cook University

Management Center Innsbruck

Vesalius College


Capital Normal University
Hong Kong Baptist University
Sias International University
SILC Shanghai University

Universidad San Francisco de Quito

Regent's University London
University of Essex
University of Hertfordshire
University of Westminster

HHL Leipzig Graduate School of Management
HWR Berlin
University of Mannheim

University of Haifa

Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore

Aoyama University
Hakodate University
Hokuriku University
Momoyama Gakuin University
Musashi University
Nagoya University of Foreign Studies
Obirin University

University of Rotterdam

San Ignacio de Loyola

South Africa
University of Capetown

South Korea
EWHA University
Sogang Univesity
Soonchunhyang University
Sungkyunkwan University


Universidad de Cadiz
Universidad de Sevilla
Universidad Pontificia Comillas

National Chengchi University- College of Commerce
National Taiwan University

Mahidol University International College

Koc University

If you are coming from another school or if you are coming as a fee paying student, you are considered a visiting student, and please see the Visiting Student Program

General Information:

Incoming Exchange Application requirements:
- You must be formally nominated by your home university
- 2.5/4.0 GPA

Incoming Exchange Application Deadline:
Spring 2018- Applications are due Friday September 29, 2017

Length of Study: Exchange students may study at HPU for one semester (Fall- August to December or Spring- January to May) or two semesters (August to May). Please see the Academic Calendar for exact dates.

Estimated Costs: HPU tuition is waived for exchange students coming from one of  the academic institutions we have established an exchange agreement with.  Non-tuition related fees for students will include:
- $75 Upass Bus pass that will allow you to take the bus anywhere on the island all semester (Without the Upass each ride on the bus is $2.50)
-$50 Student Activity Fee so you can take advantage of the assortment of events and activities organized by HPU throughout the semester

Participants are also responsible for the costs of transportation, visa application, room and board, health insurance and personal expenses. Estimated Living Costs.

English Requirements: If English is not your first language, HPU requires proof of English Proficiency. We are only able to accept tests listed at www.hpu.edu/englishtest. The score must meet the requirements for regular admission, and the score cannot be more than two years old at the time of your anticipated start at HPU. 

HPU Undergraduate/Bachelor English Proficiency Requirements:

Writing Score

HPU Graduate/Master English Proficiency Requirements:

Writing Score


Minimum REquirements: International students are required to take a minimum number of in person (not online) classes:
- Undergraduate (Bachelors) 12 credits
- Graduate (Masters) 9 credits

What classes can you take? When you are searching for courses, please note that Incoming Exchange students may NOT take:
- 4000 or 7000 level courses- these are capstone courses for HPU students only
- Honors Classes (HON)
- 8 week classes (Section 8A or 8B)- You can avoid seeing these classes by selecting "Full Term" in the course search
- Classes outside of their level:
           - Undergraduate (Bachelors) may only take undergraduate courses (1000, 2000, and 3000 level)
           - Graduate (Masters) students may only take graduate courses (6000 level)

Students must also have taken classes that match the prerequisites for each course they would like to take. This will be determined by an HPU academic advisor according to the transcripts submitted by the student.

Course search- The exact course schedule for Fall will be released in Mid-March and the schedule for Spring will be published in Mid-October. 

Syllabus search- If you would like an idea of what classes are generally offered before the course schedule for a specific term is published, you can access the syllabus search to see what classes have been offered in the past. Here you can get syllabi for classes that have been offered previously and see what term (fall or spring) that a class is generally offered. Please contact your exchange coordinator for a link to the syllabus search.

resources and important information:

On Campus Housing-
Students can apply for on campus housing through their Pipeline account. You will receive pipeline login information once your application to HPU has been accepted.
This page contains resources for students to find off-campus housing.

International health insurance- All international students are required to have international health insurance upon their arrival to HPU, and their health insurance must meet the requirements on the International Student Health Insurance Waiver.  

Tuberculosis Test- Hawai’i State Law requires that students take a TB test in Hawai‘i if they are staying longer than 5 months. HPU will provide arriving students with information on how and where to get tested upon arrival. Note: this TB test must be taken in Hawaii, after arrival, according to State of Hawaii law.

Visa United States visa requirements vary depending upon the country of origin. Please consult with your local US Embassy or Consulate. Exchange students require a J-1 VIsa in order to study in the United States

Length of Stay- J-1 students may enter the United States no more than 30 days before classes begin, and may stay no more than 30 after the term ends. Please see the Academic Calendar for the exact dates of the term.

International student services

Pre arrival Checklist

Post-Arrival Checklist

pre Arrival handbook

Entry into the United States

airport shuttle

International Student Employment

Tutoring center

Incoming Exchange student application process:

  1. Apply to study abroad through your home university

  2. Once accepted at your home university and formally nominated to study as an incoming exchange student at HPU, you will be sent a link to the Incoming Exchange Student Application. To complete your application, you will need the following documents:

  3. Incoming Exchange Student Application Checklist
    1. Color Copy of Passport
    2. Official Transcript with Coordinator's Stamp and Signature
    3. Conferral of Undergraduate Degree (Graduate/Masters Students Only)
    4. Original English Test Score with Coordinator's Stamp and Signature
    5. Health Clearance Form and Documentation
    6. Statement of Financial Support and a Bank Statement with the Amount in US Dollars
    7. Course Request Form- The form with instructions will be mailed to you once your HPU application has been accepted

Contact Information:

HPU Study Abroad and International Exchange Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-9326, Fax: 1-808-544-9355

For photos and information, follow us on:
Facebook Twitter • InstagramStudent’s Abroad Blog