Off Campus Housing Resources

Resources for Renters

Off-Campus Housing Search

Use Commuter Services' Off-Campus Housing Search Checklist.

Landlord-Tenant Handbook

It is important to familiarize yourself with the landlord-tenant handbook so that you are aware of your rights and responsibilities.

Reporting Issues

Commuter Services provides assistance to HPU students living off-campus through:

  • roommate mediation
  • landlord-tenant issue advocacy
  • referrals for legal assistance and advice

If you are having any trouble with your rental, we encourage you to come to our office and report the problem.

Renters' Insurance

The owner of a building or home is responsible for insuring it, but bears no responsibility for a tenant's belongings. Renters' insurance can provide peace of mind by covering your personal property against things such as fire, theft, or vandalism. Students are encouraged to check with their family’s insurance provider to determine how their homeowner’s/apartment dweller’s policy might cover their personal property while at school. If coverage is not provided, students may wish to consider obtaining personal renter’s insurance.

For more information about renters' insurance and to see reviews of different companies, click here. This resource is provided for the convenience of students and families.  This list is not all-inclusive, and the University does not endorse any company or product listed.  When selecting insurance, contact a variety of insurance providers to get quotes and comparison shop for the policy that best fits your needs.

Resources for When You Move Out