Academic Advising

Mid-Term Deficiency

Who Participates in the Mid-Term Deficiency Program? 

All faculty members (including adjuncts and lecturers) who are teaching 15-week courses regardless of delivery method (face-to-face, online, hybrid).

What is the Mid-Term Deficiency Program?

Hawai‘i Pacific University implements a variety of early intervention programs to improve student success, degree progression, and graduation. The Mid-Term Deficiency Program is for undergraduate and graduate students and occurs in week 7 of classes (in a typical 15-week semester). This program is a team effort by faculty, administrators, advisors, counselors, and student affairs professionals to quickly connect with students who are having academic or personal issues that may present obstacles to their success, and provide them with resources, help them build academic success skills, and support positive student development. Faculty members are vital to the effectiveness of this program since they are the first to identify any students who need assistance. 

What Happens Next?

After you have identified students that are struggling, the staff from the Academic Advising Centers will immediately e-mail these students and ask them to schedule a meeting with their Academic Advisor. Their Academic Advisor will discuss with the student any academic or personal issues that may present obstacles to their success, design interventions to enhance student learning and academic performance, and help connect students to relevant HPU’s student resources. The Mid-Term Deficiency notification does not mean that a student will fail and it will not be reflected on an academic transcript. The e-mail notifies the student they have not been doing satisfactory work in a specific course(s) and encourages them to seek out assistance to address any roadblocks to their academic success. In some cases students have forgotten to drop the course and it allows the university to follow up with them.

What if you have a Student Attendance Concern Before or After the Mid-Term Deficiency Program (which occurs during the 7th week of classes)?

If you have a student attendance concern (i.e., a student has missed a week of classes) or if a student notifies you that they are withdrawing from the university contact:

  • Attendance Concern – Please e-mail with the student’s name, student ID, and last date of attendance (or if never attended enter the first day of the term) to the Office of Student Affairs. They will look up the student’s record to verify if they have dropped the course and follow up with the student.
  • Withdrawn from the University – Please e-mail with the student’s name, student ID, last date of attendance (or if never attended enter the first day of the term), and any details to the Office of the Register. They will verify the student has dropped all their classes and withdrawn from the university, then contact the related university offices to assist the student (i.e., assign an academic advisor to follow-up with the student; help them close out their HPU housing contract; receive any tuition reimbursements; notify the Office of Financial Aid). Please inform the student that they must officially drop all their courses with an advisor or the Registrar’s Office to withdraw from the university.