Veterans Benefits

Yellow Ribbon Scholarship Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a partnership between Hawaii Pacific University and the Department of Veteran Affairs, to supplement the tuition benefit of the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Yellow Ribbon program (HPU funds plus VA funds) will cover your actual tuition expenses at HPU for all required courses in an approved degree program, for up to $10,000 ($5,000 from HPU plus $5,000 from the VA) per year in addition to your base benefit.  In May 2016, the maximum Yellow Ribbon coverage increased to $13,100 for the 2016 – 2017 academic year.  For the 2017 – 2018 academic year, Yellow Ribbon coverage has increased to $13900 ($6950 from HPU plus $6950 from the VA).

To be eligible for a Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, you must:

  • Be a veteran or family member the VA has determined to be 100% eligible for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.  Spouses of active duty service members do not qualify for Yellow Ribbon while the service member is active duty.
  • Be an HPU student in good academic standing
  • Be in a VA-approved degree program
  • Be registered for classes at Hawaii Pacific University (your courses must apply to your degree program), and
  • Successfully complete all registered classes – you may be required to repay HPU and the VA for the tuition for any class you fail or drop after the term begins.

The HPU School Certifying Officials will request Yellow Ribbon payments when required.  To have the payments applied to the tuition and fees, you must:

  • Complete the Request for Veteran Enrollment Certification form for your classes. This form must be completely filled out each term the student wishes to use GI Bill benefits.
  • Be sure to check the box for "Yellow Ribbon" on the form
  • If this is your first time using Post-9/11 Benefits at HPU, you must attach your letter (certificate) of eligibility from the VA that verifies you are 100% eligible for veteran benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • If you have separated from Active Duty Service (or Active Orders) since your last certification, you must attach a copy of your DD-214
  • Remember to re-certify each subsequent semester or term

Submit your application form and required attachments to:

VA Certifying Official / MCP
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 912
Honolulu, HI 96813-2882
FAX: 808-544-0285

We strongly encourage students wishing to use Yellow Ribbon funds to fill out the Request for Veteran Enrollment Certification well before the semester begins, as it may take 4-6 weeks for the VA to process your application. We are not responsible for processing or mail delays. We cannot approve you for Yellow Ribbon funds without your eligibility paperwork from the VA. If you choose to register for classes prior to finalizing your paperwork, you may personally responsible for tuition balances and any late fees on your account.

If you have any questions and/or concerns, please read our "Frequently Asked Questions" page or click on the links at left for more information.  You may also contact HPU's VA Coordinator directly at or at (808) 356-5222.