International Undergraduate Admissions

Future Student

Quick Links

Experience HPU
Did You Know That...
GPA is an acronym for Grade Point Average. In the U.S., the highest grade you can receive is an A, which is worth 4 points; a B is worth 3 points; a C is 2 points and so forth. For example, in order to graduate with honors or with distinction you will need a total GPA of 3.4 for the undergraduate programs, and a 3.7 for the graduate programs.

Experience HPU

Got a Question? Ask HPU!

Apply Now

Live Chat

Campus Tour

Yasemin Karabudak

BA International Relations


Aloha! I am Yasemin Karabudak, an international student from Germany. Trusting my heart in decision making delighted my life with great experiences. Based on my experiences in the United States as an exchange student in 2006/07 I decided to study International Relations at Hawai’i Pacific University.


International Undergraduate Admission Requirements

HPU's early action date is November 15th. Our priority application date for the Fall semester is January 15th; however, applications are reviewed on a rolling basis year-round. It is recommended that students apply well in advance to the start of the term that they are interested in to ensure adequate time for immigration related processes. Once your application is complete it usually takes two weeks to receive an admissions decision. If you have questions regarding the application process or your admissions decision please contact your Admissions Counselor.

For additional information about our majors and programs please click here.

Not a new, degree-seeking undergraduate student?  Find information regarding your admissions and application requirements by clicking on the appopriate link below:

Visiting (Study Abroad) Student | Returning Student | Exchange Student | Graduate Student


Application Checklist*

All documents (except online application) can be submitted either by post to the Office of International Admissions (1164 Bishop Street, Suite 1100, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 - U.S.A.) or electronically to

1. Online Undergraduate Application or Common Application - includes $50 non-refundable application fee.

    • For a complete list of accepted payment options, please click here.

2. Academic transcript(s)

    • Unofficial transcripts can be accepted for admissions purposes, however official transcripts must be received prior to a student's registration for classes.
    • Transcripts must be submitted both in the native language and in an official English language translation.
    • First-time freshmen are expected to have the American equivalent of at least a 2.5 grade point average (GPA) on a 4.0 scale (approximately 65%) in their secondary (senior or high school) education.
    • Students who have taken Advanced Placement Examinations (AP) of the College Board or the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program will be accepted with above average scores (AP grades higher than 3 and IB scores higher than 4) and should have the results forwarded to the Office of International Admissions. These results will be evaluated not only for admission, but also for proper advanced standing and/or credit from HPU.

3. Proof of English proficiency

    • For a list of tests (and associated scores) accepted by HPU, along with a list of reasons for exemption from this requirement, click here.
    • Students who have not met the minimum English requirement for HPU admissions may seek to enroll at the university's affiliated ELS Language Center program.  To learn more, click here.

4. Copy of your passport's biographical (photo) page

    • If you are living in the United States, please also submit a copy of your current visa and/or I-20/DS-2019.

5. Statement of Financial Sponsorship (SFS) form

6. Bank Statement (or Government Sponsorship Letter)

    • An official bank statement showing that you (or your sponsor) have an account which holds sufficient funds to cover the total estimated costs must accompany the SFS form.

*Additional documentation may be required, as situations and requirements can vary from student to student.  You will be contacted should any additional documentation be required.

back to top


International transfer students are those who come to HPU from other regionally accredited colleges or universities. To be considered for transfer admission to HPU transfer students need to have at least 24 credits/semester hours of college level, academic coursework from an accredited institution.  These students require the additional documentation below to be submitted along with those listed above:

7. Course descriptions

    • If you are transferring from a non-U.S university, you must provide an official description of each course in English to have your coursework formally evaluated for transfer credit.  Without course descriptions, you will not receive transfer credit.

8. High school transcript(s)

    • If you are a transfer student with less than 24 credits/semester hours of university level credit, you will need to submit your high school (secondary) transcript(s) in addition to your university transcript(s).

Additional information for international transfer students, including how to transfer currently held SEVIS records from inside the U.S., can be found here.

Note: Transfer students should also check with the institution they are attending or have attended to see if there is already an articulation agreement with HPU (formal transfer agreement) in place.

back to top

Do you need additional assistance?  Try one of our instructional webinars for helpful information!

 Hawai‘i Pacific University

International Admissions

1 Aloha Tower Drive
Honolulu, HI 96813 USA
Tel: +1 (808) 544-0238
Fax: +1 (808) 543-8065