Immigration and Visa

F-1 Visa Information

An F-1 visa is a non-immigrant, full-time, student visa that allows you to pursue education in the United States.  This is the proper visa type for both degree-seeking students and visiting students that are not part of a formal exchange agreement.

For more information about how to apply for an F-1 visa, click here.

Your Role as an F-1 Student

Responsibility for students studying at Hawai'i Pacific University on an F-1 visa is shared between three entities: the United States Government (via the Department of Homeland Security and the Student and Exchange Visitor Program Office), the International Student Services office, and the student.  As a student at Hawai‘i Pacific University, we want you to be aware of your rights and responsibilities which relate to your stay in the U.S.


All students at HPU - domestic or international - have certain rights by virtue of being a student: access to university resources, the ability to seek legal counsel, etc.  For details of your rights specifically related to your F-1 status, consult your I-20.  For I-20s issued before July 1, 2015, this information is located on Page 2.  For I-20s issued after July 1, 2015, this information is located on Page 3.


Holders of an F-1 visa are responsible for the maintenance of their status.  This includes:

  • Meeting the requirements of the regulations for F-1 visa holders;
  • Attending the school authorized on the I-20;
  • Keeping all documents (I-20 and passport) valid and current;
  • Requesting extensions of your stay as necessary;
  • Updating and reporting your current address via Campus Pipeline;
  • Requesting formal approval from International Student Services for any travel outside of the United States;
  • Meeting any other requirements for maintaining legal status in the United States.

Fore more details about these responsibilities, click here or consult the International Student Handbook.