Travel and Visa Renewal

Current Student


Gintare Janulaityte

MA in Military and Diplomacy Studies


I am Gintare Janulaityte, an international student from Lithuania, currently enrolled in HPU's Master of Arts in Diplomacy and Military Studies. I started my program in fall 2009 and I expect to be graduated in May 2011. This is going to be my second master’s degree, as I have already graduated with a Masters in International Law in Lithuania.


Travel for International Students

As an international studying on a U.S. student visa, there is likely to be a time during your studies when you are interested in traveling either within the United States or abroad.  Regulations concerning that travel can be found below.

Travel Inside the United States
Travel Outside the United States
Renewing Your Visa While Abroad

Travel Inside the United States

As a current HPU student studying on an F-1 or J-1 visa, traveling within Hawaii, Alaska, and the mainland United States is permitted on your student visa without any prior approval or signatures from HPU, International Student Services, or the U.S. Government.  To avoid any issues, it is recommended that students carry the following throughout their travels:

  1. Passport
  2. I-20 or DS-2019
  3. Student or State ID or U.S. Driver's License
  4. Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card (if applicable)

If traveling to a U.S. territory such as the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Guam, students should visit the International Student Services office for any additional information that may be applicable to their travel.

Students who have graduated from or completed their studies at HPU and are interested in traveling within the United States immediately following their departure from HPU should speak to the International Student Services office about the timeline for how long they can remain in the United States on their student visa.

Travel Outside the United States

International students studying at HPU on an F-1 or J-1 visa may leave the United States and be readmitted after absences of five months or less.  In order to do so without legal or immigration issues, certain procedures need to be followed:

  1. Print and fill out the Travel Notification and Document Request with details of your upcoming travel.
  2. Bring your Travel Notification and Document Request and I-20/DS-2019 to International Student Services 3-4 weeks prior to your date of departure to obtain a signature for re-entry from an International Student Advisor.  Processing time for this signature is 5-10 business days.  This re-entry signature is valid for twelve (12) months while pursuing studies, and for six (6) months if a student is working on OPT.
  3. When re-entering the United States, have the following documents prepared:
    • I-20 or DS-2019, signed for re-entry by an International Student Advisor
    • Current passport valid at least six (6) months after the date of re-entry
    • Most recent 1-94 card if having left and re-entering the U.S. by land or by sea
    • Valid, current student visa*

Students should consult the embassies of their country of citizenship regarding visa procedures for any countries to which they intend to travel.

*If the student has traveled to Canada, Mexico, or an island adjacent to the United States (excluding Cuba) for less than thirty (30) days, the visa may not be required to be valid or current.  For more information, see below.

Travel to Mexico, Canada, or U.S. Adjacent Island Nation (excluding Cuba)

If you are planning to travel to any of the aformentioned countries as an F-1 or J-1 visa holder, a valid or current student visa is generally not required if returning to the United States within thirty (30) days provided that you have a valid I-20 or DS-2019.  Upon re-entry, your expired visa will be revalidated in process called automatic visa revalidation.

If, however, you meet any one of the following criteria, you will not be able to automatically revalidate your visa:

  1. You applied for a new visa and it has not been issued;
  2. You applied for a new visa and were denied;
  3. You have a terminated SEVIS record indicating you are out of staus;
  4. You have been out of the United States for more than thirty (30) days;
  5. You are a citizen of one of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan, or Syria.

NOTE: Unless listed below, students who wish to travel must obtain a visa from the Canadian embassy in Washington D.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, or Seattle:

Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominica, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Granada, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Korea (South), Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Solomon islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Tuvalu, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Venezuela, Western Samoa, and Zimbabwe.

Renewing Your Visa While Abroad

Interested in renewing your visa while traveling abroad?  Click here for additional information on steps and procedures.