Maintaining Your Status

Current Student


Alexandra Meyland-Smith



The professors at HPU are devoted, hard-working people who want to share their knowledge with their students. Also, the guest speakers who are invited to class are inspiring and want to share everything they know with you.


Maintaining Immigration Status

Once a student has arrived at Hawai‘i Pacific University (HPU), it is the job of the university (via International Student Services) to ensure that their stay in the U.S. is smooth with regards to maintaining their student status. Conversely, it is the responsibility of the student to make sure that they are, at all times, meeting the regulations of maintaining their student student status.  To learn more about these requirements, click the links or browse below:

Basic Requirements
Full-Time Requirement
Address Requirement
Health Insurance Requirement
Other (Travel & Employment)

Basic Requirements

There are certain basic requirements for a student to fulfill in order to maintain his/her student status:

  1. Attend the school authorized on the I-20 or DS-2019;
  2. Attend classes and coursework;
  3. Keep all documents (visa* and passport) valid, including filing for extensions of stay as necessary;
  4. Meet any other requirements for maintaining legal status in the United States;
  5. Fulfill all other requirements as listed below.

*Students with expired F-1 or J-1 visas who remain in the United States and fulfill all necessary requirements to maintain their status will not be considered out of status since visas are used for entry purposes into the United States.  If leaving the United States and requiring a student visa renewal, click here for more information.

Full-Time Requirement

International students are required by U.S. immigration regulations to be registered full-time during fall and spring semesters:

Fall & Spring Semesters:

Level of Study Minimum Number of Credits/Hours Required Number of Online Credits Permitted
Undergraduate Twelve (12) Three (3)
Graduate Nine (9) Three (3)


Summer: Students interested in beginning their studies at HPU during the summer semester or current students who are interested in taking coursework over the summer should contact International Student Services to discuss their individual situation.
NOTE: F-1 & J-1 students are not permitted to register for any military campus course that is physically located on a military base, including hybrid courses (e.g. MCP, MPH, MKB, MHK, MSB, MTR, MSI).
Students encountering issues related to maintaining their full-time status (e.g. difficulties with English, unfamiliarity with American teaching methods, medical reasons) should contact International Student Services to schedule an appointment to discuss a possible reduction from full-time courseload.

Address Requirement

Per U.S. federal regulations, international students must notify United States Immigration and Hawaii Pacific University of address changes within ten (10) days of a move/address update throughout their course of study and during Optional Practical Training (OPT).  To do so, log in to your HPU Pipeline account adn update* the following addresses as needed:

  1. Mailing Address: address in the United States where you receive your mail;
  2. SEVIS Domestic Address: physical address/place of residence in the United States. This cannot be a P.O. Box address;
  3. Permanent Address: address in your home country.

*Do not type in any special characters (e.g. dash(-), underscore(_), period(.), comma (,), pound (#)).

Health Insurance Requirement

All international students are required to have health insurance as a condition of enrollment at the university.

Effective May 15, 2015, all incoming international students will be automatically charged a $100 medical insurance verification fee.  To remove this fee from their bill, students must either enroll in an HPU medical plan or demonstrate comparable health insurance coverage and submit the required health insurance waiver..  To learn more, click here.

Other "Requirements"

Travel Authorization

International students intending to travel outside of the United States have certain regulations related to that travel.  For more information, click here.

Employment Authorization

International students have specific regulations related to their visa regarding employment.  For more information, click here.

For any questions related to requirements for maintaining your status, or to learn more about extensions/reinstatement of your status, contact or stop by the International Student Services Office.