Ida Killingberg

Ida Killingberg

MBA, 2009

Client Manager Corporate, Scandic Hotels

My internship at Starwood Hotels & Resorts helped me gain the international experience I needed...


Hiring an International Student Intern

International students are allowed and encouraged to participate in work experience for academic credit.  However, there are federal laws and regulations which may restrict an international student's eligibility for programs.  International students interested in cooperative education (co-op) and/or internship programs should contact Career Services to assist them in determining eligibility for programs.  

During their first year at Hawai‘i Pacific University, international students must strive to develop proficient English verbal and written skills, and are encouraged to learn about American social and business customs. 

International students must earn academic credit for their work in an internship or co-op, regardless if the position is paid or non-paid.  The work experience must be clearly related to the student's major course of study.  

Employment is normally limited to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters, and may be full-time during winter and summer vacation periods.   

International students have several specific eligibility requirements to qualify for participation in the internship & co-op program.  Career Counselors work to ensure that international students find appropriate co-ops and internships, and assist them to register for the academic credits.   International students' Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is approved and processed by HPU Designated School Officials. 

If you have additional questions about hiring an international student, please contact us at (808)544-0230.