Business Office

1098-T Frequently Asked Questions

1098-T Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What is a 1098-T and why do I need one?
This form is intended to assist you or your parents in the preparation of your federal income tax return. Your accountant, tax preparer, or the Internal Revenue Service ( can best advise you in the utilization of this form when preparing your taxes. The University cannot offer tax or legal advice.

Q: What are the Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits?
In 1997, the Taxpayer Relief Act established two education tax credits and a deduction for student loan interest. These credits are explained in detail in Publication 970 from the IRS. However, please note that just because you receive a 1098-T does not automatically mean you qualify for a credit. If you have questions about how to compute your education tax credit, you should consult your tax professional or refer to the IRS.

Q: I’m a Non-resident alien. Do I need a 1098-T?
Non resident alien students in
general are not eligible to claim education tax credits and a 1098-T form is not automatically generated for these students. However, under certain conditions, some non resident alien students may be eligible to claim tax credits. If you feel you are eligible to claim the tax credit please email us at

Q: When will my 1098-T become available?
1098-T’s will be available online approximately January 15 or mailed by January 31 of each year.

Q: Where can I find my 1098-T online?
Official Copy: To view and retrieve an official copy of your 1098-T, please visit Vangent TRA Service at and click on the “First Time Students” button. Follow the instructions to create a unique user ID and password. Once created, log in and download your 1098-T. The copy found on the Vangent website is the official, IRS-approved format of your 1098-T and can be filed with your yearly tax paperwork.
Unofficial Copy: Go to Campus Pipeline at  Login and click on the 1098-T button in the “My Quick Links” box. Please note that the 1098-T file in Pipeline is only a representation of the official 1098-T form.

Q: What information will be provided on my 1098-T?
Your tuition and selected fees, loans, scholarships, payments and interest paid. It also indicates graduate student classification and half-time or greater enrollment.

Q: Why is Box 1 on Form 1098-T blank?
Box 1 will be blank for all HPU students. Schools are directed to choose a method of reporting, either by reporting the payments received for qualified tuition in box 1 or by reporting the amounts billed for qualified tuition in box 2. HPU has chosen the latter method.

Q: I am attending HPU during the Winter Quarter, but some of all of those amounts are missing from my Form 1098-T. Why?
Form 1098-T reports only those transactions that posted to your student account during the calendar year. If you registered or changed your registration or made payments for your Winter Quarter after December 31, these amounts will be reported on your next calendar year 1098-T.

Q: I’m a parent. Can I have the student’s 1098-T form sent to me?
Students must make all information requests. The student is responsible for providing information to other parties in accordance with FERPA (Family Education Right to Privacy Act)

Q: What charges are considered “qualified” or “eligible” charges?
Eligible or qualified charges are any tuition charges plus student activity and technology fees.

Q: What charges are considered “non-qualified” charges?
Non-qualified charges include the following: books, housing, meal plan, health fee, insurance or any transportation fees or costs.