Tax Transcript Information
If your application was selected for verification by the Department of Education, the Financial Aid Office is required to verify that all income information reported on the FAFSA is accurate. The best way to verify income is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) that is part of the FAFSA on the web at FAFSA.gov. In most cases, no further documentation is needed to verify IRS income tax return information that was transferred into the student's FAFSA using the IRS DRT if that information was not changed. Instructions on how to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool are listed below in option 1.
For electronic filers, IRS income tax return information for the IRS DRT is available within 3-4 weeks after the electronic IRS income tax return has been accepted by the IRS. Generally, paper IRS income tax will take longer and may require 8 - 11 weeks to be available for the IRS DRT. We highly recommend you use the IRS DRT if you are eligible.
If for some reason you are unable or choose not to use the IRS DRT, you will be required to submit a copy of your Federal 2013 Tax Return Transcript for the 2014-15 school year. To request a tax return transcript from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) please follow the instructions listed under option 2. Please be sure to request a tax return transcript and NOT an account transcript. You should anticipate that there will be an additional few weeks wait to receive an IRS tax return transcript by mail. Once you receive the transcript, please email or fax us a copy and keep the original for your records.
Option 1: IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT)
- Log on to www.fafsa.gov.
- Select “make a correction”.
- Go to income tab.
- Read through the list to see if any of the IRS retrieval exceptions apply to you.*
- If none, check the box marked ‘none’ and proceed to the IRS site.
- Once the retrieval is complete, continue and submit the correction with your pin code as your signature.
- HPU will receive the data electronically in our next weekly download. Please contact us to make sure it has been received.
*Individuals NOT eligible to use this option are those who filed as “married filing separate”, filed as “head of household”, have done an amended tax form, filed a Puerto Rican tax form or filed a foreign tax form. If you have only recently submitted your taxes to the IRS, you may need to allow a few weeks of processing time before your information is available for the IRS DRT.
Option 2: Requesting a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS
To request a tax transcript from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), please follow the instructions below. Please be sure to request a tax return transcript and NOT an account transcript.
To request a tax transcript online:
- Log on to www.irs.gov/transcript.
- Select "Get Transcript Online".
- Create a login.
- Enter your social security number, date or birth, street address and zip code. May need to use the primary tax filer’s information.
- If you are eligible, you may be able to access your tax return transript the same day. When you get it, please forward a copy to our office.
If you prefer, you can request a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript by calling the IRS toll-free number 1-800-908-9946, or you can also request one from your local IRS tax office by walking in with a valid picture ID.