Financial Aid Student Eligibility Requirements
To receive aid from any federal student aid program, you must meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate financial need, except for some loan programs.
- Demonstrate by one of the following means that you are qualified to enroll in postsecondary education:
- Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate.
- Pass an approved ability-to-benefit (ATB) test.
- Meet other standards your state establishes that the US Department of Education has approved.
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree in an eligible program. (You may NOT receive aid for correspondence or telecommunications courses unless they are part of an associate's, bachelor's or graduate degree program. Certificate and special status students are not eligible for financial aid. Repeat coursework, MIL, AIR, interim courses and courses not required for your degree plan will NOT be eligible for aid.)
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non citizen.
- Have a valid Social Security Number (unless you're from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau). If you need a Social Security Number, you can find out more about applying for one through the Internet at www.ssa.gov or call 1-800-772-1213. TTY users can call 1-800-325-0778.
- Meet satisfactory academic progress standards set by the postsecondary school you are or will be attending.
- Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes and certify that you are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe money on a federal student grant (which could happen if you withdraw from school, for example).
- Comply with Selective Service registration, if required. If you're male aged 18-25, and you haven't yet registered, you can five the Selective Service permission to register you by checking a box on the FAFSA. You can also register through the Internet at www.sss.gov or call 1-847-688-6888. TTY users can call 1-847-688-2567.