La Universidad Pontificia Comillas de MadridAbout la Universidad Pontificia Comillas de Madrid:
Universidad Pontificia Comillas (UPC) is located in Madrid, Spain is the courntry's capitol. This Spanish university offers amazing history with its palace campus originating from the 1880’s, and was a former cleric university. It has since been modernized and now includes student ID cards that allow students to view their grades and pay tuition, and mobile zones in the campus library where students with laptops can connect to the internet via Ethernet or wireless. In addition, the university offers a fully equipped gym; students can enjoy the soccer (football) field! If students wish to learn more about Spanish culture, the university offers culture classes from Spanish guitar to theatre as well as other cultural clubs. Madrid itself is a cosmopolitan city with vast amounts of history and culture from Spanish Parliament to the Spanish Royal Families. Students who are interested in learning more about UPC can find information on their university website.
Location: Universidad Pontificia Comillas C/ Alberto Aguilera, 23, 28015 Madrid, Spain
Academics Available: Comillas is open to all majors. An option for exchange students who are fluent in Spanish are courses in International Business, International Legal Framework, and International Relations. Students can learn more about courses offered by clicking on the ( UPC course description).
Dates to Remember: Comillas Pontifical University academic schedule
|Semester||Application Deadline||Study Abroad Dates|
|Fall Semester||May 1st||September 2 - December 20
|Spring Semester||October 1st||January 10 - May 25
* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring.
- Must have attended HPU for one semester
- Must intend to graduate from HPU
- Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be fluent in English, and some knowledge of Spanish is suggested
- Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
- Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
- Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
- Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
- Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application
- Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
- Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
- Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.
Health Insurance: Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at http://www.culturalinsurance.com/
Housing Accommodations: UPC has a variety of housing accommodations for exchange students. Students can choose to live with a host family which is arranged with the university and includes room, meals, and laundry. Then there are student halls which offer room and meals. While Comillas does not have its own dorms, exchange students can make arrangements with host students. Students can request more information on housing in Spain by filling out the housing request form. (Exchange student info)
Visa Information: Exchange students must make arrangements to get there visa and passport. The Spainish consulate can be contacted at (808) 226-0430 or online to find the consulate nearest you. U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and on line at http://travel.state.govMelissa Matsubara Director, International Exchange and Study Abroad Hawaii Pacific University 1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813 Tel: 1-808-544-0288, Fax: 1-808-544-9355 www.hpu.edu/studyabroad Skype: melissa.matsubara