La Universidad de Cadiz
About the University of Cadiz:
Located in on of the oldest cities in Europe, The University of Cádiz is made up of 4 campuses, with a total of 64 programs. As a public institution, the aims of the University of Cádiz (UC) are not only to educate students on the different study programs offered in the Faculties and Schools located on their four Campuses, but also to ensure that the UC is seen throughout the province as the people's university, renowned for the quality of education and services it offers to its students, for its contribution to the cultural life of the province, and for its cooperation with businesses, governmental bodies and social groups, creating wealth and employment and contributing to an improvement in the level of well-being.
Location: Cadiz, Spain
Academics Available: Varies, depending on language fluency; classes are generally available for Business, Marine Biology, Psychology, Computer Science majors and Spanish minors.
Check course availability at:
Courses offered in English can be found at http://www.uca.es/en/portal.do?IDR=285&TR=C (Downloadable PDF)
Extracurricular activities can be found at http://inter.uca.es/en/university-life/activities
Dates to Remember:
|Semester||Application Due||Study Abroad Dates|
|Fall Semester||May 30||September 21 to February 12|
|Spring Semester||October 30
||February 13 to September 20|
* Fall Semester is not available due to conflicts with our academic calendar. You may only choose between attending Spring Semester or Full Year at this university.
* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring.
UCA’s academic calendar, listing semester dates, is at:
***Note: The Fall Semester calendar at the University of Cádiz is October to February, which overlaps the Spring Semester calendar at HPU. Therefore, a Spring Semester or an entire Academic Year are recommended.
- Must have attended HPU for one semester
- Must intend to graduate from HPU
- Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be fluent in Spanish
- Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
- Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
- Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
- Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
- Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application
- Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
- Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
- Sign a Memo of Understanding (MOU) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.
Health Insurance: Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. HPU recommends health insurance from International Student Organization (ISO) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of ISO health insurance at www.isoabroad.com
Housing Accommodations: UC offers a variety of housing options to exchange students, including: on-campus housing, home stay, and pensions (inns). It is important to find a place to live next to the campus where you will be studying. Students who wish to study at Algericas and Jerez Campuses should live in those cities, because they are 30km and 120 km away from Cádiz. Only students who will not study Spanish language (as a topic) at the Centro Superior de Lenguas Modernas as part of the Spanish minor should consider this option.
You can find information about the transportation systems at: http://www.uca.es/web/servicios/servicio_alumnos/paginas/transporteuca
Currency: The current exchange rate can be calculated online at http://finance.yahoo.com/currency
Visa Information: U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and on line at http://travel.state.gov