Nagoya School for Foreign StudiesAbout Nagoya University:
Nagoya University of Foreign Studies (NUFS), located in Nisshin-city, (one hour commute from central Nagoya), was founded in 1988 and has been growing steadily since its establishment. Starting with only the School of Foreign Languages, NUFS doubled its offerings by establishing the School of Global Business and Economics in 1994. The opening of the Department of Japanese Studies in 1999 augmented those provided from the very beginning: the Department of British and American Studies, the Department of French Studies and the Department of Chinese Studies. NUFS established the Graduate School of International Studies in 1997 and its Doctoral Program (second semester) in 1999. The Japanese Language Institute of Nagoya University of Foreign Studies was also founded in 2001, focusing on academic exchanges with many overseas universities. NUFS continues on the path of innovation and development. An exchange agreement with Hawaii Pacific University began in the fall of 2007. International students studying at NUFS come primarily from the U.S., Korea, China, Great Britain and France.
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Academics Available: Business, International Relations, International Studies, Japanese language study and minor in Japanese, electives, substitutions for certain General Education (core) courses, plus other majors, where appropriate course substitutions can be identified.
NUFS offers two different programs of study: Contemporary Japan Program in Nagoya (CJPN) and Japanese Language and Japanese Studies Program (JLJSP). The CJPN program is for students who want to take courses in English about Japan, and do some (optional) Japanese language studies. The JLJSP program is for students who have Japanese language background (see above) and want to intensively study Japanese and earn a minor in Japanese at HPU.
Dates to Remember:
|Application Due||Semester Dates|
|Fall Semester||April 30||August 28 - February 10|
|Spring Semester||October 31||April 1 - July 13|
* Fall Semester only is not available due to conflicts with our academic calendar. You may only choose between attending Spring Semester or Full Year at this university.
* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring.
- Must have attended HPU for one semester
- Must intend to graduate from HPU
- Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be fluent in English
- Must have taken at least one semester of Japanese
- Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
- Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
- Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
- Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
- Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application (http://www-e.nufs.ac.jp/jli/jljsp/tuition_waiver.htm)
- Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
- Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
- Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.
Health Insurance: Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. You may check with your current provider to see if they cover a study abroad, or you may choose an additional provider to cover you while overseas. Please consult our Health Insurance page found in our Resources section for more information.
NUFS International House (I-House): The I-House, an on-campus dormitory, is a two-story building built in August 2001. The primary objective of this facility is to deepen global awareness and to promote cross-cultural understanding and cultural exchange between international students and Japanese students living in the same complex. Single rooms are made available to JLJSP/CJPN students. Each room is equipped with a balcony, bathroom, toilet, air conditioner, closet, bed, curtains, desk & chair, shelves, telephone (on-campus calls only), refrigerator, etc. Communal facilities such as the kitchens, conference rooms, laundry room, etc. are also available. The monthly fees (including rent, electricity, water, maintenance costs, etc.) are fixed at 26,000 yen per student. In addition, 10,000 yen will be charged as a non-refundable entrance fee at the time of check-in.
Apartment House Arranged by NUFS: NUFS secures a number of rooms at Proxy Friends Nisshin, a privately-run apartment house located within walking distance of the university. These are studio apartments with a kitchen area. Basic facilities include bathroom with toilet, kitchen, balcony, air-conditioner and refrigerator. In addition, NUFS will provide some other equipment such as TV, bed, microwave oven, desk & chair, bookshelves and curtains. Monthly rental costs (excluding electricity charges) are fixed at 30,000 yen per student. Students are required to pay a non-refundable entrance fee of 10,000 yen at the time of check-in.
For details, please visit: http://www-e.nufs.ac.jp/jli/jljsp/housing.htm
Visa Information: U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and on line at http://travel.state.gov. You will find detailed information on the student visa process at http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj04e.html.