Momoyama Gakuin University
About Momoyama Gaukin University:
The predecessor of Momoyama Gakuin University (MGU) was established in 1869 by the Church Missionary Society of England and therefore has St. Andrew's University as its English name. The modern university was founded in 1959 and in 1995 moved to its new campus in Izumi, in the Oasaka suburbs. Each June MGU invites students from its sister schools to participate in a Language and Culture Program.
Location: Osaka, Japan
Japanese language classes (elementary level only, 3 hours each morning), plus afternoon lectures on contemporary Japan or participation in cultural activities. Each student is paired with a Japanese language partner (http://web.njcu.edu/dept/oissa/Uploads/buddy_program_application.doc) . Weekend excursions to sites in Osaka and neighboring Kyoto, the old imperial capital, are also scheduled.
Dates to Remember:
Study Abroad Dates
September - January
March - July
|Summer Semester||See Melissa Matsubara||See Melissa Matsubara|
* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring.
- Must have attended HPU for one semester
- Must intend to graduate from HPU
- Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Completion of at least one course in Japanese with a B average, or higher.
- Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
- Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
- Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
- Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
- Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application
- Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
- Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
Health Insurance: Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. You may check with your current provider to see if they cover a study abroad, or you may choose an additional provider to cover you while overseas. Please consult our Health Insurance page found in our Resources section for more information.
Housing Accommodations: Students stay with host families, located near the MGU campus or in dormitories. Breakfast and dinner is taken with the host family. In the dormitories, housing is about $3500/ semester.
Visa Information: Student exchange participants apply for a student visa through the Consulate General of Japan, 1742 Nuuanu Ave., Honolulu, HI (phone: 543-3111). Website: http://www.honolulu.us.emb-japan.go.jp/ and http://travel.state.gov. You will find detailed information on the student visa process at http://www.studyjapan.go.jp/en/toj/toj04e.html.
U.S. Passport information is available at 522-8283 (recording) and online at http://travel.state.gov
Additional information about living in Japan: http://www.thejapanfaq.com
**Note: MGU has implemented a 30,000 yen fee [approx $400] for incoming exchange students. This fee covers airport pickup, bed linens, and trips and activities. MGU staff will meet incoming students at Kansai International Airport if the students arrive during the designated period.
***Note: Participants pay, upon arrival at MGU, a 120,000 yen (in cash) program fee directly to MGU, which covers host family accommodations with two meals per day, public transportation fee from host family location to campus, field trips, cultural programs and texts.
Director, International Exchange and Study Abroad
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813
Tel: 1-808-544-0288, Fax: 1-808-544-9355