About Vesalius College, Brussels
Vesalius College (VeCo) is located in Brussels, Belgium. Bordering Germany, France, Luxemburg, and the Netherlands, Belgium is host to a number of cross-cultural influences and history. Vesalius College offers instruction in English and boasts an excellent student to teacher ratio due to its small student body, a good portion of who are international students. While the school itself may be small, its association with Vrije Universiteit Brussel allows them to access larger computer and sports facilities. They offer courses for International Relations, Communications and Business programs.
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Website: www.vesalius.edu for specific study abroad information:http://www.vesalius.edu/academics/study-abroad-programme/incoming-students/ or for more information regarding exchange: click here.
Academics Available: VeCo offers courses in International Relations, Communications, and Business. For more course information: http://www.vesalius.edu/academics/study-abroad-programme/incoming-students/academic-information/. For students wishing to take ART 361E “European Studies” at Vesalius College: course trip fee of €795 will be charged to the student.
General Information for Study Abroad:
1) New Vesalius College Brochure 2013-14: The new brochure will give students a comprehensive overview of the programs and services offered by Vesalius College. Please find the document via the following link: http://issuu.com/vesalius_college_brussels/docs/vesalius_viewbook_2013-14_v5.
2) Guide for Incoming Study Abroad Students: This guide gives incoming students practical information about studying in Brussels and at Vesalius College. It is designed to help them prepare for their semester abroad in addition to giving them resources they can use once in Brussels. Please see the following link: http://www.vesalius.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Guide-for-Incoming-Study-Abroad-Students.docx.
Dates to Remember:
Study Abroad Dates
August 28 – December 15
January 22 – May 17
* Please remember HPU Study Abroad Application Deadline is Mid-March for Fall and Mid-October for Spring.
- Must have attended HPU for one semester
- Must intend to graduate from HPU
- Must have at least a minimum GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Must be fluent in English
- Application requirements and deadlines for Vesalius: http://www.vesalius.edu/academics/study-abroad-programme/incoming-students/how-to-apply/#SAWA
- Complete the Student Exchange Program data sheet.
- Schedule and attend a formal interview with Melissa Matsubara
- Be prepared to discuss your motives for studying abroad and your degree plan.
- Select an exchange partner university that has courses which can be used for your intended HPU degree.
- Fill out the exchange university’s admissions application. (For students attending Vesalius College: A non-refundable €50 application fee must accompany the application)
- Obtain recommendation letters to be turned in with your application. (This depends on the individual university’s application requirements)
- Passport photos (Amount and size depend upon each university)
- Sign a Course Request Approval (CRA) to verify your foreign coursework and HPU equivalents.
Health Insurance: Health Insurance is mandatory for all study abroad students. HPU recommends health insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) for students study abroad. There is more information medical coverage and rates of CISI health insurance at http://www.culturalinsurance.com/
Housing Accommodations: While the Exchange Programs Office will assist where needed, it is the responsibility of the student to arrange their accommodations. Housing can be arranged with VeCo through a homestay option, or the student can choose to live off-campus (VeCo cannot arrange this living arrangement, however, may offer suggestions).
Please follow the link for more information: Housing at VeCo.
Housing and meal costs: (For students staying with host families in Brussels, the housing cost for the full semester - €160/week plus a one-time €100 placement fee – is due prior to the student’s arrival in Belgium)
Currency: The current exchange rate between the U.S. dollar and the Euro can be calculated online at http://finance.yahoo.com/currency
Visa Information: Students should access the website for the Belgian Consulate’s website for more information about applying for and getting a student visa by clicking here. You may also follow VeCo’s suggestions about obtaining a student visa and a multiple entry visa.
VeCo FAQ (scroll down until you find visa information)
You can check out the Embassy of Belgium's student visa process at http://www.diplobel.us/TravelingBelgium/Visas/Students-HigherEducation.asp.
*Students may contact the Belgium consulate representative in Hawaii, but they will still need to send their paperwork to the Belgium consulate in Los Angeles, CA.Melissa Matsubara Director, International Exchange and Study Abroad Hawaii Pacific University 1164 Bishop Street, Suite 200, Honolulu, HI, 96813 Tel: 1-808-544-0288, Fax: 1-808-544-9355 www.hpu.edu/studyabroad Skype: melissa.matsubara