Resident Advisor at HPU
Resident Advisors are student leaders who work and live in the residence halls. Each Resident Advisor (RA) has the opportunity to work directly with about 30 students living on campus. The RA team are integral to the student experience living in the residence halls at HPU. These student leaders strive to create a respectful community where individuals can thrive while being supported and challenged. Most students living on campus are first-year students or transfer students and most RAs are more experienced students.
HPU Resident Advisor Position Description Highlights
Resident Advisors (RAs) are full-time students who serve as leaders in the residential community on the Hawai`i Loa campus. These student leaders have the most direct and constant contact with the residents of our six halls. RAs, under the direction of the Residence Life Coordinator, fill the following major roles:
- Community development facilitator
- HPU resource referral agent
- Uphold university and department policies
- Event coordinator
- Committee advisor
- University representative
- Support department goals and projects
- Develop and maintain open and positive communication with each resident by becoming acquainted with the residents and their needs, being approachable and available (includes being on campus most evenings), supporting and encouraging residents to enrich their experience though activities, community involvement, and leadership opportunities.
- Resident Advisors provide peer support and advising, implement University and department policies, coordinate and promote events, and other departmental support and contribution as needed.
- Serve as a leader by personally following the University policies, be an academic role model, displaying healthy self-care habits, and by being involved in the HPU community.
- Attend all RA training sessions prior to both the fall and spring semesters, attend regular monthly in-service trainings, weekly staff meetings, and 1:1 meetings. Participate in a rotating duty schedule, sleep and live in the assigned hall/room, promptly complete administrative duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least one full semester in university-sponsored housing
- At least 2nd year class standing
- Most recent completed semester GPA of 2.75
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Must be a full-time student for both semesters of the 2013-2014 academic year taking the majority of classes on HPU’s main campuses (12-15 credits for undergraduate, 9 for graduate students.) No additional enrollment or internships in HPU academic programs or at other institutions is permitted without prior approval by the Director of Resident Life and Commuter Services.
- Must be available during training periods (August 9 -25, 2013 and January 13-17, 2014) and for semester move-in days, orientation and welcome week events.
- May not hold additional employment outside of Residence Life without prior approval from the Director of Residence Life and Commuter Services.
- Must in good standing with HPU’s Code of Student Conduct
- One full year in university-sponsored housing
- 3rd or 4th year class standing
- Prior leadership experience
Applications closed for 2013-2014
ALL applications were due by February 19, 2013 at 5:00pm to Residence Life. At this point we are not accepting additional applications for RA positions for 2013-2014.
ALL letters of recommendations were due by February 25, 2013 at 5:00pm to Residence Life.