Apply to be a Resident Advisor
Resident Advisors are student leaders who work and live in the residence halls. Each Resident Advisor (RA) has the opportunity to work directly with about 30 students living on campus. The RA team are integral to the student experience living in the residence halls at HPU. These student leaders strive to create a respectful community where individuals can thrive while being supported and challenged. Most students living on campus are first-year students or transfer students and most RAs are more experienced students.
HPU Resident Advisor Position Description Highlights
Resident Advisors (RAs) are full-time students who serve as leaders in the residential community on the Hawai`i Loa campus. These student leaders have the most direct and constant contact with the residents of our six halls. RAs, under the direction of the Residence Life Coordinator, fill the following major roles:
- Community development facilitator
- HPU resource referral agent
- Event coordinator
- Committee advisor
- University representative
- Uphold university and department policies
- Support department goals and projects
- Develop and maintain open and positive communication with each resident by becoming acquainted with the residents and their needs, being approachable and available (includes being on campus most evenings), supporting and encouraging residents to enrich their experience though activities, community involvement, and leadership opportunities.
- Resident Advisors provide peer support and advising, implement University and department policies, coordinate and promote events, and other departmental support and contribution as needed.
- Serve as a leader by personally following the University policies, be an academic role model, displaying healthy self-care habits, and by being involved in the HPU community.
- Attend all RA training sessions prior to both the fall and spring semesters, attend regular monthly in-service trainings, weekly staff meetings, and 1:1 meetings. Participate in a rotating duty schedule, sleep and live in the assigned hall/room, promptly complete administrative duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least one full semester in university-sponsored housing
- At least 2nd year class or graduate standing
- Most recent completed semester GPA of 2.75
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Must be a full-time student for both semesters of the 2014-2015 academic year taking the majority of classes on HPU’s main campuses (12-15 credits for undergraduate, 9 for graduate students.) No additional enrollment or internships in HPU academic programs or at other institutions is permitted without prior approval by the Director of First-Year Experience.
- Must be available during training periods (August 10-24, 2014 and January 12-18, 2015) and for semester move-in days, orientation and welcome week events.
- May not hold additional employment outside of Residence Life without prior approval from the Director of First-Year Experience.
- Must in good standing with HPU’s Code of Student Conduct
- One full year in university-sponsored housing
- 3rd or 4th year class standing
- Prior leadership experience
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0
Applications Available for 2014-2015
ALL applications aredue by February 24, 2014 at 5:00 pm to Residence Life.
ALL letters of recommendations are due by March 3, 2014 at 5:00 pm to Residence Life.