Tips for Students
GETTING THE MOST OUT OF A TUTORING SESSION
PREPARING TO VISIT THE CENTER FOR ACADEMIC SUCCESS
- Consult the tutor schedule by checking our website www.edu/tutoring. Please be sure to check any schedule changes of the tutors as well.
- Come prepared. Work the assignment on your own before seeing a tutor. Tutors are not allowed to do your assignment.
- Tutors are now allowed to help the students with take-home quizzes, tests and exams.
- Bring a hard-copy when you want a tutor to review our paper-work. Also, you must bring all your earlier drafts.
- For a longer paper, bring it to the tutor in parts. The tutors will generally look at only three pages per session.
- Do your work early and come ahead of time. Avoid the traffic jam just before and during the mid-term and the finals.
- The Tutoring Center at Downtown Campus do not make appointments except for the followings:
(a) ADA student
(b) Full-time worker
(c) Military worker
(d) Writing Mentor Appointment
(e) Upon instructor's request where your instructor requests us to work with a certain tutor on a regular basis.
BEFORE THE SESSION
- Check in at the front desk. Bring your valid picture ID (HPU ID preferable).
- Remain near the service so that you will not lose your spot when your name is called.
DURING THE SESSION
- Sessions is 30 minutes. To maximize your time with the tutor, bring in any necessary materials (books, notes, etc.) and clarify to the tutor what you need help with.
- Take initiative during the session by asking questions and taking notes.
YOU MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT LONGER IF...
- You request to work with a particular tutor.
- You want to sign up for a second session.
***PLAN AHEAD: Do not wait until the last minute to come into the Tutoring Center if your class requires to see a tutor each week.