At Hawaii Pacific University, Academic Advising involves more than registering for courses. We believe that the advisor/student relationship is an essential component of your academic experience. Understanding what you can expect from your Advisor and what you are responsible for as the advisee, allows you to get the most out of the academic advising experience.
Advisor’s Commitment to Your Success:
You can expect your advisor to:
- Understand and effectively communicate the curriculum, graduation requirements, and university and college policies and procedures.
- Encourage and support you as you gain the skills to develop meaningful and attainable educational plans.
- Be accessible via in-person appointments, telephone appointments, and email during office hours to discuss your academic plans, questions, and concerns.
- Connect you to the variety of resources and services available both on and off campus to help you be successful.
- Assist you in developing effective decision-making skills and the ability to assume responsibility for your educational plans and achievements.
- Monitor and accurately document your progress toward meeting your goals.
- Be professional, courteous, and respectful.
Student’s Commitment to Succeed:
As an advisee, you are expected to be an active partner in your success:
- Know the name of your advisor, where his or her office is located, and the appropriate means for contacting him or her.
- Be proactive in scheduling appointments or maintaining regular contact with your advisor throughout each semester.
- Be an active participant when meeting with your advisor by coming prepared with materials for discussion and asking questions if you don’t understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Assume responsibility for knowing the requirements of your degree program and the university’s policies and procedures.
- Be aware of important Registration Policies and Deadlines (e.g., the last day to drop a course).
- Check your HPU Pipeline email account regularly for messages from your advisor and other HPU offices and departments. Respond and follow-through when appropriate.
- Be courteous and respectful.