Yellow Ribbon Scholarship Program
The Yellow Ribbon Program is a partnership between Hawaii Pacific University and the Department of Veteran Affairs, to supplement the tuition benefit of the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
The Yellow Ribbon program (HPU funds plus VA funds) will cover your actual tuition expenses at HPU for all required courses in an approved degree program, for up to $10,000 ($5,000 from HPU plus $5,000 from the VA) per year in addition to your base benefit.
To be eligible for a Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, you must:
- Be a veteran and eligible for 100% of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
- Be an HPU student in good academic standing
- Be in a VA-approved degree program
- Be registered for classes at Hawaii Pacific University (your courses must apply to your degree program), and
- Successfully complete all registered classes – you may be required to repay HPU and the VA for the tuition for any class you fail or drop after the term begins.
NEW! The Yellow Ribbon Scholarship Program has been expanded to include all Graduate students, beginning Fall Semester 2010.
To apply for a Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, you must:
- Complete the Request for Enrollment Certification form for your classes
- Be sure to check the box for "Yellow Ribbon" on the form
- If this is your first time using Post-9/11 Benefits at HPU, you must attach your letter (certificate) of eligibility from the VA that verifies that you are 100% eligible for veteran benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
- If you have separated from Active Duty Service (or Active Orders) since your last certification, you must attach a copy of your DD-214
- Remember to re-apply for each subsequent semester or term
Submit your application form and required attachments to:
VA Certifying Official / MCP
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite 215
Honolulu, HI 96813-2882
We strongly encourage students wishing to use Yellow Ribbon funds to apply for VA benefits well before the semester begins, as it may take 4-6 weeks for the VA to process your application. We are not responsible for processing or mail delays. We cannot approve you for Yellow Ribbon funds without your eligibility paperwork from the VA. If you choose to register for classes prior to finalizing your paperwork, you may personally responsible for tuition balances and any late fees on your account.If you have any questions and/or concerns, please read our "Frequently Asked Questions" page or click on the links at left for more information. You may also contact HPU's VA Coordinator directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (808) 356-5222.