Donating Books and Materials to HPU Libraries
Enrichment of the collections by means of book and periodical donations from the faculty is a tradition at the University, and welcomed by the staff. Please complete a Gift Donation form and bring it with your item(s) to any library service desk.
General Physical Condition
- The University libraries cannot accept, for environmental and collection maintenance reasons, books and periodicals displaying:
- Insect infestation
- Significant underlining (pencil or ink) or highlighting marks
- Water damage
- Significant deterioration of the paper.
- Donated books and periodicals displaying any of the above conditions, based on librarian judgement, will be discarded accordingly.
- Faculty are reminded that the primary criteria for addition of books to the collections used by the University libraries include the scholarly value and physical condition of the book(s).
- Acceptable books include:
- Those that are relevant to the University's curriculum.
- Contribute to the availability of a well-rounded liberal arts collection.
- Supplement the principles, concepts, and ideas conveyed in the course subject matter.
- The University libraries do not accept "generic textbooks" marked, stamped or containing other markings identifying them as "Examination Copy" or "Instructor Copy".
- As a practice, the University libraries do not add "generic textbooks" to its collections except in certain subject areas.
- The University libraries reserve the right to not add titles already available in the collections unless circulation statistics indicate the need to have multiple copies of the title available.
- The University libraries reserve the right to discard unnecessary multiple copies of books as appropriate.
- Donation of single issues of periodical titles subscribed to by the University libraries can be used to fill in gaps of the holdings of the title, or replace lost or damaged periodical issues. Use the Periodical List to identify the current University libraries periodical subscriptions.
- The University libraries reserve the right to discard duplicate issues of periodicals as appropriate.
- Acceptance of a gift subscription to a periodical title will be based upon the scholarly value of the title as well as its accessibility in periodical indexes available in both libraries.
- Acceptance of a gift periodical title does not obligate the University libraries to continue the subscription once it has expired.
- Faculty who have donated books and/or periodicals throughout the calendar year will receive an acknowledgement letter from the University Librarian shortly after the beginning of the new year.
- The letter will acknowledge the total number of donated items only. No valuation of the items is provided for tax purposes.
Annual Faculty and Staff Fund Drive
- Faculty can assist in the development and growth the University libraries collections and maintain a spirit of giving through the annual University faculty/staff fund drive. Faculty can designate their contribution to the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) challenge grant. Designation of the contribution to the NEH challenge grant will be matched 1:3 and will be used to purchase items for the Humanities area collections.
Grants and Gifts
- Faculty seeking to enhance the University libraries collections through monetary grants/gifts or donation of materials from companies, philanthropic organizations, foundations, etc. must first coordinate all requests through the University's Office of Development.
3/7/14 -- LS