Health Insurance and Immunization Information
International students who want to study in the USA are required to have health insurance coverage, and need to fulfill certain medical requirements. Please carefully read the information outlined below.
International students are required to have health insurance as a condition of enrollment at the University. HPU recommends that students purchase one of the HPU student plans. If a student provides adequate proof of coverage by completing the International Student Health Insurance Waiver, purchase of an HPU plan is not necessary.
Effective fall 2014 semester, all international students will be automatically enrolled in an HPU medical plan. Students may waive participation in the HPU plan by completing the International Student Health Insurance Waiver. This waiver verifies that students have health insurance and comparable coverage through another insurance plan. To waive participation in the HPU plan, the waiver must be submitted to the Dean of Students Office (MP 107 or email@example.com) by 5pm on September 12, 2014 (fall semester), January 30, 2015 (spring semester) or May 29, 2015 (summer term) to receive clearance for the health insurance requirement and fee. If students do not submit a waiver, they will be responsible for paying the Kaiser HMO Medical Only (single) fall, spring and/or summer plans. Plan benefits and summaries are available below.
Full-time, degree seeking students who submit a waiver for the fall semester will automatically waive insurance for the spring semester (and summer term if taking classes) as long as the waiver shows coverage during those enrolled terms. Visiting students will only be automatically enrolled during the term they are taking classes. Once students are enrolled, the health insurance coverage cannot be cancelled. Please note that the revised policy still mandates all international students to have health coverage as a condition of enrollment. For more information about HPU’s student health insurance plan, please call the Dean of Students Office at (808) 544-1116.
If you wish to obtain a waiver, your medical insurance must meet the following requirements:
- Valid coverage dates for the entire term
- Coverage for outpatient care, hospitalization, emergency room, accidents, medical and surgery in Hawaii
- Comprehensive medical coverage of at least $100,000 USD coverage per accident or illness
- At least $7,500 USD coverage for repatriation
- At least $10,000 USD to cover expenses associated with the medical evacuation to one's home country
- A deductible not to exceed $500 USD per accident or illness
- At least 75% coverage for each accident or illness
- Health plan does not have a pre-existing clause and waiting period of any kind
- The health insurance plan inlcudes behavioral health coverage
- The health insurance plan is backed up by a provider that meets a set rating
- Life insurance policies;
- Travel insurance plans;
- Accident or hospitalization only plans;
- Plans that reimburse the student rather than the medical provider.
Additional Medical Requirements
Students are required to submit written proof of the following medical information:
1. Tuberculosis (TB)
International Students are required to take a TB test after their arrival in Hawaii. TB certification issued outside of the U.S. cannot be accepted by the University. HPU will provide arriving students with information on how and where to get tested at no charge.
2. Measles (Rubeola) or MMR Clearance
Students must have received two doses of measles or MMR shots in their own country (written proof - such as an official vaccination record - is required). Alternatively, students may receive their measles shots upon arrival at HPU.
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite #1100
Honolulu, HI 96813 USA
Tel: +1 (808) 544-0238
Fax: +1 (808) 543-8065