International Medical Requirements
International students intending to study at Hawai'i Pacific University need to fulfill certain medical requirements and are required to have health insurance coverage. Please carefully read the information outlined below.
Vaccinations & Medical Screenings
Per State of Hawai'i regulations, students studying in Hawaii are required to demonstrate certain medical clearances in order to be enrolled in coursework:
- Proof of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) Immunization
- All students are required to demonstrate proof that they have received two doses of the MMR immunization (taken at least four weeks apart) in order to register for coursework. Click here for the MMR immunization clearance form.
- A certain few students may be eligible for an MMR immunization waiver. If you believe you may meet the one of the limited conditions for a waiver, click here.
- NOTE: Forms signed by a non-US licensed physician will require additional time for processing by HPU. Please be patient as paperwork is processed.
- Tuberculosis (TB) Test
- All students coming for study lasting longer than five months are required to take a TB test after their arrival in Hawaii. During check-in and orientation, students will be provided with information on how and where to get tested at no charge. Click here for the TB clearance form.
Effective May 15, 2015, all international students will be automatically charged a $100 medical insurance verification fee. To remove this fee from their bill, students must either enroll in an HPU medical plan or demonstrate comparable health insurance coverage and submit the required health insurance waiver. See below for further information on both of these options.
HPU Medical Insurance Plan
The international student HPU medical plan is provided by Kaiser Permanente. Details of this medical plan, including cost and information about prescription drug coverage, can be found here. To purchase this plan, contact the Student Life Office.
At this time, the provided KPIF plans do not include medical evacuation or repatriation benefits. Since international students are required to have this coverage by federal law, it must be purchased separately.
Upon enrollment, please note that health insurance coverage cannot be cancelled at any time.
Health Insurance Waiver
Students may also have the medical insurance verification fee removed if their personal medical insurance meets all of the following requirements:
- Valid coverage dates for the entire term;
- Coverage for outpatient care, hospitalization, emergency room, accidents, medical and surgery in Hawaii;
- Comprehensive medical coverage of at least $100,000 USD coverage per accident or illness;
- At least $7,500 USD coverage for repatriation;
- At least $10,000 USD to cover expenses associated with the medical evacuation to one's home country;
- A deductible not to exceed $500 USD per accident or illness;
- At least 75% coverage for each accident or illness;
- Health plan does not have a pre-existing clause and waiting period of any kind;
- The health insurance plan inlcudes behavioral health coverage;
- The health insurance plan is backed up by a provider that meets a set rating.
Plans that are not accepted include:
- Life insurance policies;
- Travel insurance plans;
- Accident or hospitalization only plans;
- Plans that reimburse the student rather than the medical provider.
Should your personal insurance meet all of these requirements, complete the International Student Health Insurance Waiver and submit the form to the Student Life Office by the deadline published on the form. This waiver verifies that students have health insurance and comparable coverage through another insurance plan. If students do not submit a waiver, they will be responsible for paying for the automatic HPU medical plan.
NOTE: Full-time, degree seeking students who submit a waiver for the fall semester will automatically waive insurance for the spring semester (and summer term if taking classes) as long as the waiver shows coverage during those enrolled terms. If selecting the HPU medical plan, visiting students will only need to enroll during the term they are taking classes.
Hawaii Pacific University
1164 Bishop Street, Suite #1100
Honolulu, HI 96813 USA
Tel: +1 (808) 544-0238
Fax: +1 (808) 543-8065