Immigration and Visa

Canadian SEVIS Fee Information

Prior to Entering the United States

Canadians are not required to have a visa to study in the United States.  However, Canadian students must still pay the $200 SEVIS fee. 

  • This fee funds the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), which allows the Department of Homeland Security to maintain and update vital information on international students. 
  • To pay the SEVIS fee, visit
  • If the SEVIS fee is paid by mail, a paper receipt will be mailed. 
  • If the fee is paid electronically, the student will have an opportunity to print out a copy of the electronic receipt.  Be sure to bring this receipt to present to the Immigration Inspector. 
Passports must remain valid for at least six months beyond the date of their expected stay.  It is also important to remember that students may be denied entry to the United States if they attempt to arrive more than 30 days prior to the program start date listed on their I-20 form (item #5).

Entering the United States

At the port of entry, the student will be asked to provide:
   - A valid Canadian passport
   - The original I-20 from HPU
   - Supporting financial  documents (copy of Statement of Financial Support)
   - Proof that the SEVIS fee has been paid  (receipt)

After the immigration inspector reviews these documents, the student will be given an I-94 Admission/Departure card (see Fig. 1).  It is imperative that the student’s I-94 card has the notations “F-1 D/S” written on it.  Without this notation, the student will be considered to be in visitor (B-2) status, and will not be allowed to study in the U.S.

After Entering the United States

ALL international students are required to check in with HPU’s International Center (with their passport, I-20 form,  I-94 card and medical insurance verification) within 30 days of entering the United States.  Failure to do so could put them in violation of their F-1 status.

Canadian students are still subject to the same regulations as all other international students regarding employment in the U.S., the requirement for full-time study, and other provisions for maintaining their F-1 status.

For more information, please contact: 

HPU International Center
1164 Bishop Street.  Suite #1100
Honolulu, HI 96813
1 866 CALL HPU (225-5478)