International Student Services


Amanda Eng



What I like most is the multiculturalism at HPU. I have never met so many people from different places; now, I have friends from all over the world. I used to speak four languages, but now I have picked up even more languages from the new friends that I’ve made here!


Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training is employment authorization granted to currently enrolled F-1 students by a DSO, allowing students to work off-campus in positions which give them practical training in their major field of study.
CPT must be done for credit through either the Cooperative Education or Internship program, and the work experience must be clearly related to the student’s major. Appropriate employment must be found before permission to work is given.
Employment is limited to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters, and may be full-time during spring break, summer, and winter vacation periods.

How to apply for CPT

To be eligible for CPT, a student must meet ALL of the following requirements:

  • Be in F-1 status for one full academic year.
  • Enrolled in a degree program.
  • Complete at least 12 semester hours of credit in college courses numbered 1000 or above.
  • For graduate students, complete at least 9 semester hours of credit in courses 6100 or above.
  • Complete and pass Writing 1100. Graduate students must complete and pass MGMT 6100 class or above if applicable.
  • Possess a cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 for Co-op, or 2.7 for Internship. Graduate students must always maintain a 3.0 GPA.
  • Present current I-20 and passport, along with student visa and Form I-94 to the International Student Advisor.
  • Have no holds on student accounts (i.e. Tuition balance, no medical insurance, library fines, etc.).
  • Obtain pre-authorization from the International Student Advisor (ISA).

After you are pre-authorized by the Department of Homeland Security, Designated School Official at the Career Services Center, you will then meet with a Career Counselor. The Career Counselor can assist you with:

  • Searching for employment and preparing for the application and interviewing process.
  • Informing you of the cooperative education/internship requirements.
  • Providing you with a Program Explanation Form (PEAF).
  • Issuing you a letter of introduction to take to an employer, explaining that you will be given employment authorization after you have found a job and that this authorization (work permit) will be noted on Page 3 of your I-20.

Should you change employers or need to extend your work authorization, you will be required to meet with your Career Counselor again, to file another application.

Curricular practical training is available ONLY to the students who meet the above-mentioned qualifications and who have room left on their degree plan. For the students whose unrestricted electives are already fulfilled, they will need to meet with a Career Counselor to assess the value of the employment offer. If it is an opportunity that will enhance a student’s educational learning, a general petition will be drafted and signed and completed by the Director of International Student Services, Director of the Career Services Center, and by a academic dean. This is necessary to verify to the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service that the work constitutes an invaluable experience that will help the student once he/she returns to their home country.

For more information about CPT, please contact:

Hawai'i Pacific University
Career Services Center
1132 Bishop Street, Suite 502
Honolulu, HI, 96813 - USA

Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (HST), Monday-Friday

Phone: (808) 544-0230
Fax: (808) 544-9337
Toll-Free: 1-866-CALL-HPU (U.S. and Canada Only)

back to top