Current Student

Contact us


Alexandra Meyland-Smith



The professors at HPU are devoted, hard-working people who want to share their knowledge with their students. Also, the guest speakers who are invited to class are inspiring and want to share everything they know with you.


Academic Training (J-1 Students)

Academic training is designed to allow J-1 students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in the classroom to a practical work experience off campus. It is available for full or part-time employment to those in both degree and non-degree programs. Academic training can be paid or unpaid, and can be used before or after the completion of the academic program.

Your J-1 Program Sponsor and Responsible Officer

To receive academic training authorization, you must apply to your J-1 Responsible or Alternate Responsible Officer (RO/ARO), who represents your J-1 sponsor and issues your Form DS-2019. The RO/ARO must evaluate the proposed employment to determine whether it can be authorized. If HPU is your J-1 sponsor, your RO/ARO is one of the international student advisors at the International Student Services office. If your program is sponsored by another institution, the International Student Services can help direct you to the RO/ARO at your institution.


To be eligible for academic training, you must meet the following conditions:

1. You must be in valid J-1 status and in good academic standing at the school named on your Form DS-2019.

2. Academic training must be done with a specific employer/training site.

3. The proposed employment must be directly related to your major field of study.

4. Written approval must be obtained in advance for the duration and type of academic training.

5. If your post-completion academic training will be unpaid, you must prove you have adequate financial support for yourself and J-2 dependents if any.

Duration of Academic Training

The duration of academic training depends on the type and duration of your academic program. Check with an international student advisor about your specific situation.

General limits which apply to all students:

Under any circumstances, the duration of academic training may not exceed the length of the academic program.

Part-time and full-time academic training are counted the same against the total time allowed. Part-time academic training is not counted at half the rate of full-time.

Academic training used before completion of the academic program is deducted from the total time available.

Specific limits include: 

Non-degree students: Example: An exchange student enrolled for one semester may be granted academic training for the equivalent time of his/her studies. Total J-1 program time for non-degree students is limited to 24 months, including both study and academic training time.

Degree students: Academic training is normally limited to a maximum of 18 months.

Application Process

You must receive academic training authorization before you begin employment. For authorization to work after the completion of your academic program, you must receive a job offer and apply to the International Center before your program completion date (although employment may begin later).

To apply for academic training, meet with an international student advisor and submit the following items: 

1. Copy of the Job Offer Letter (sample available from international student advisor) Academic training authorization may only be given for job offers.

Assuming you have met the requirements for academic training, the RO/ARO will issue a letter authorizing your employment for a specified period of time, and, if applicable, issue a new DS-2019 form. Please allow at least three business days. You should provide the employer with copies of the authorization letter and DS-2019 form at the beginning of your employment.

Travel Abroad and Reentry

If you plan to leave the US after completing your program of study and reenter the US for J-1 academic training, you must applied for academic training and received work authorization from your RO/ARO before you leave. If you leave the U.S. before applying for academic training, you have relinquished your ability to return to the US in J student status and obtain academic training work authorization.

A valid travel signature on your DS-2019 and valid visa stamp are required to reenter the US while on Academic Training. Your DS-2019 must have a current valid date. Consult your RO/ARO for more information about travel on Academic Training.

Extending J-1 Academic Training Authorization

If you are eligible for an extension of your academic training, please contact the International Student Services at least one month prior to the expiration of your current academic training authorization.

Important Considerations 

1. Please let us know if your dependents are in the US. They will also require updated DS-2019s.

2. You must continue to update your local address and other contact information while on academic training, you can do this through Pipeline.

3. Throughout your period of academic training, you must maintain permission to stay in the U.S. in J-1 student status and apply for extensions as necessary.

4. You must maintain health insurance coverage for yourself and any J-2 dependents throughout your academic training period.

Failure to Comply with Employment Regulations

It is your responsibility to comply with all immigration regulations which apply to J-1 students, including employment regulations. Working without proper authorization is a serious violation of your student status. If you fail to comply with your responsibilities, you may not be eligible for benefits normally granted to J-1 students and, in some situations, may be subject to deportation. Prior to accepting any employment in the US, we strongly urge you to consult with an international student advisor.

For more information please contact:

International Student Services
1164 Bishop Street # 200 (UB 200)
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 356-5299

back to top