HPU scientists, students share research at prestigious Ocean Sciences Meeting
February 21, 2014
HONOLULU — More than a dozen researchers from Hawai‘i Pacific University are slated to participate in the 2014 Ocean Sciences Meeting, beginning Feb. 23. They will join more than 5,000 researchers presenting the latest research findings about the world’s oceans at the week-long event at the Hawai‘i Convention Center in Honolulu.
The biennial meeting is the largest international assembly of scientists, engineers, students, educators and policy makers, who gather to share and discuss new scientific findings, research applications, education, and policy about the oceans. Co-sponsored by the Association for the Sciences of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO), The Oceanography Society (TOS), and the American Geophysical Union (AGU), the Ocean Sciences Meeting is regarded as an important venue for scientific exchange across broad marine science disciplines.
HPU's participants include faculty from the College of Natural & Computational Sciences, researchers from Oceanic Institute of HPU and university students. CNCS faculty include Jiasong Fang, David Field, Valerie Franck, Andrew Greene, Carolyn Holl, David Hyrenbach, Brenda Jensen, Samuel Kahng, Kristi West and Chris Winn. OI-HPU researchers are Shaun Moss and Clete Otoshi. Students participating are Brittany Anderson, Ray Boland, Andrea Kealoha, Adam Kurtz, Meagan Putts and Kimberly Rose.
The presentations follow:
- Kurtz, Adam; Reiner, Jessica; West, Kristi and Jensen, Brenda: AN INITIAL SURVEY OF PERFLUORINATED COMPOUNDS IN HAWAIIAN CETACEANS
- Anderson, Brittany and Fang, Jiasong: MULTI-PROXY EVIDENCE OF LATE HOLOCENE HUMAN-INDUCED ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES IN KAWAINUI MARSH, OAHU, HAWAII
- Field, Dave; Rose, Kimberly; Bringue, M.; Pospelova, V. and Ziveri, P.: IMPACTS OF 20TH CENTURY WARMING ON MARINE ECOSYSTEMS OF THE CALIFORNIA CURRENT
- Franck, Valerie M.: EIGHT YEARS OF DATA ON ZOOPLANKTON BIOMASS AND ABUNDANCE IN A TROPICAL ESTUARY (KANEOHE BAY, OAHU): THE RESULTS OF AN UNDERGRADUATE SERVICE LEARNING PROJECT
- Putts, Meagan R.; Kelley, C.D.; Trusdell, F.A.; Sanchez, J.A. and Kahng, S.E.: RECOLONIZATION AND COMMUNITY SUCCESSION OF DEEP-WATER PRECIOUS CORALS IN RESPONSE TO DISTURBANCE
- Kealoha, Andrea; Winn, Chris; Kahng, S.E.; Alin, S.R. and Kosaki, R.: CARBON SYSTEM DYNAMICS WITHIN THE PAPAHĀNAUMOKUĀKEA MARINE NATIONAL MONUMENT
- Boland, Ray and Hyrenbach, David: SUBSTRATE INFLUENCES ON MESOPHOTIC FISH ASSEMBLAGES IN THE AU‘AU CHANNEL
- Greene, Andrew R.; Garcia, M. O.; Becker, N. and Poland, M.: NATURAL HAZARDS ON THE ISLAND OF HAWAII: A JIGSAW EXERCISE FOR INTRODUCTORY CLASSES
- Holl, Carolyn M.; Popp, B.N.; Otoshi, C.A. and Moss, S.M.: NATURAL PRODUCTIVITY IN RECIRCULATING AQUACULTURE AS SUPPLEMENTAL NUTRITION
The full meeting program agenda is posted on the conference web site at http://www.sgmeet.com/osm2014/agenda.asp.