HPU offers great lifetime return on investment among Hawai‘i schools
July 22, 2013
HONOLULU — Hawai‘i Pacific University ranks first among Hawai’i private colleges and universities in “lifetime return on investment,” according to a new report from an organization dedicated to measuring value in higher education.
AffordableCollegesOnline.org (ACO) recently ranked schools nationwide for investment return, assessing earnings over a 30-year span, as measured by PayScale.com, compared to costs-to-attend, as reported to federal agencies. HPU’s ROI of $414,000 placed it significantly ahead of in-state private campus peers, according to ACO. It ranked second in state only to the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa, which had an ROI of $442,600, and came in more than $100,000 ahead of the closest private university peer.
ACO provides prospective college students and their parents with information and resources to help them manage the cost of obtaining an education. It is the first website to offer comprehensive lists of “Most Affordable Colleges” in different categories. ACO compiled its rankings by using the following authoritative data sets:
• The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) (http://nces.ed.gov/), the primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education. It provides consistent, reliable, complete, and accurate indicators of education status and trends.
• The Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) (http://nces.ed.gov/ipeds/), the primary federal source for data on colleges, universities, and technical and vocational postsecondary schools in the U.S.
• Carnegie Classifications (http://classifications.carnegiefoundation.org/), a framework widely used in the study of higher education, both as a way to represent and control for institutional differences, and also in the design of research studies to ensure adequate representation of sampled institutions, students, or faculty.
• Payscale.com (http://www.payscale.com/), the premier salary data collection organization.
The new listing is the latest recognition of how HPU continues to offer an exceptional education and a great value, as shared by leading organizations:
• As one of the “Top West Coast Schools for Salary Potential,” HPU graduates receive the best earning potential of all colleges and universities in Hawai‘i, according to the 2012-13 PayScale College Salary Report.
• Barron’s recommends HPU as a “Best Buy in College Education” among the 3,900 universities in the United States.
• Bloomberg Businessweek recognized HPU as having the “Best Return on Investment” of all undergraduate degrees in Hawai‘i, based on tuition cost and the earnings of alumni.
ACO’s Hawai‘i rankings are online at http://www.affordablecollegesonline.org/online-colleges/hawaii/. To learn more about the value of an HPU education, see http://www.hpu.edu/HPU/value.