Internships and Co-ops
Internships and co-operative education (co-ops) are excellent opportunities for eligible students to gain hands-on experience in their field while earning academic credit for work experience. Students must meet with a Career Counselor at the Career Services Center to obtain approval of an internship or co-op and to register for the credit(s). Click here to learn about the many other benefits students often find when participating in an internship or co-op.
**NOTE: Internships & Co-ops through the Career Services Center are not considered "practicums." If your degree requires "practicum" hours, please contact your Academic Advisor or Program Chair for more information.
*Note: Tuition rates apply per credit, please see current tuition rates at http://www.hpu.edu/Business_Office/Tuition_and_Fee_Schedule.html.
Spring 2016 Internship Deadlines
The deadline for all students to register for an internship or co-op through the Career Services Center for is 5:00PM on Monday, January 25, 2016 for Spring 2016. Internship documents that are incomplete or submitted past the deadline will not be approved. Please be advised that, in some cases, a General Petition (GP) may be required. If so, the GP must be approved prior to the deadline. Please plan accordingly.
What's the difference between an Internship and a Co-op?
- Primarily intended as an advanced work experience for students.
- Training-oriented; may be pre-professional, pre-managerial, supervisory, or technical.
- May be a paid or non-paid work experience. If paid: student must work 200 hrs. for each credit. If non-paid: student must work 75 hrs. for each credit (or 200 hours, if all 3 credits registered within same term)
- *Exception - HTM Majors must still complete 600 hours, regardless if it the internship is paid or non-paid.
Cooperative Education (Co-op):
- Entry-level, paid work experience; provides initial exposure to the field or profession.
- Student must work 200 hours for each credit.
In addition to working the required hours outlined above, students must write a reflective paper (click here for examples of paper topics). Students will work with a faculty member from their College to develop an appropriate paper topic. The paper is also graded by the faculty member. The student must also complete a self-evaluation and receive a satisfactory performance evaluation from their employer in order to receive a passing grade.
Internships and co-ops are graded on a Pass/Fail basis. Students can register for 1, 2 or 3 internship/co-op credits at a time. Undergraduates may apply up to 12 internship/co-op credits toward their degree plan. Graduate students may apply up to 3 credits toward their degree plan.
General eligibility requirements for ALL STUDENTS to participate in Internships/Co-ops:
- Must be a degree-seeking student at HPU with an established HPU GPA.
- Undergraduates must maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA for co-ops and 2.7 for internships.
- Graduate students must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA for internships.
- The work experience must be directly related to the student’s major, and must offer a valid learning opportunity.
Additional Requirements for International Students:
International students need to obtain work authorization from the Office of International Student Services in order to participate in any paid or non-paid internship or co-op. To be eligible for the internship/co-op program, international students must:
- Obtain the Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Authorization Form from the Office of International Student Services.
- Maintain F-1 status for at least nine months or full-time enrollment for two semesters.
- Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program.
- Have room in the degree plan for the co-op/internship credit(s) to be awarded.
- Passport, visa and I-20 form must all be valid and current.
For more information, click on International Student Employment Information.
Steps to Obtaining an Internship or Co-op
Use these checklists to ensure that you have all of the required documents needed to sign up for an internship or co-op:
** PLEASE NOTE, WE WILL NOT AWARD ACADEMIC CREDIT FOR WORK PERFORMED PRIOR TO COMPLETING THE INTERNSHIP SIGN-UP PROCESS WITH A CAREER COUNSELOR. **
** YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO REGISTER FOR YOUR INTERNSHIP/CO-OP WITHOUT HAVING ALL OF THE FOLLOWING REQUIRED DOCUMENTS COMPLETED. **
Internship & Co-op Agreement Form – This form must be completed and signed by the internship/co-op supervisor as well as the student. The student brings this completed form to the appointment with their Career Counselor to obtain approval and sign up for the internship/co-op credits.
Student Waiver & Release Form - This form must be signed by the student and submitted to Career Services in order to register for internship or co-op credits.
Employer Waiver & Release Form - This form must be signed by the internship/co-op supervisor and submitted to Career Services in order to register for internship or co-op credits.
** A detailed job description must also be submitted.
More information on Internships & Co-ops
Internship & Co-op Info Sheet - Information for Students on our Internship & Co-op program.