Research Boat Captain
- Captains the research vessel during laboratory sessions as needed
- Provides assistance to faculty and students during laboratory sessions
- Trains and supervises full-time and part-time staff and student assistants allocated to the University research vessel
- Carries out a schedule of maintenance and repair activities to ensure operational readiness of the vessel and auxiliary equipment
- Carries out a vessel safety program to include enforcing safety procedures and maintaining safety equipment.
Captain Dan has been with HPU for 15 years, both as a student and as a First Mate and then Captain aboard the R/V Kaholo. He graduated from HPU with a B.S. in Marine Science and holds a USCG Near Coastal Master’s (Captain’s) license.
In his spare time (and when he’s not fishing) Dan is probably working on one of his beautiful wooden sculptures that have been featured in art exhibits across Hawaii.