MS/MS Program Objectives
Master of Science in Marine Science Mission Statement:
The Masters of Science in Marine Science degree program fosters a broad understanding of marine systems through an interdisciplinary program of study and a research-based education in areas of marine and environmental science, preparing students for careers or entry into Ph.D. programs in related fields.
The objectives of the MSMS program are:
- Students will demonstrate an interdisciplinary knowledge of marine and/or environmental systems.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to plan and implement observational, theoretical, and experimental studies.
- Students will be able to interpret and critique professional scientific literature.
- Students will demonstrate an advanced ability to apply and integrate scientific principles and research data to solve complex problems in the marine and/or environmental systems.
- Students will demonstrate competence in scientific communication through technical and scientific reports, publications and oral presentation.
- Students will demonstrate professionalism and scientific ethics.
Graduates of the Master of Science in Marine Science program will have the competence to gain employment in advanced positions or entrance to a doctoral program in related fields.